Most Pinned Recipes/ Recipes

Healthified Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

It’s officially fall: I’ve made pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. And healthy ones, to boot. Granted, they aren’t gluten-free, but most fall parties I attend are filled with people who aren’t gluten-free and they get gobbled up. My friend Shardae gave me this cookie recipe when we were in college, and one thing I learned quickly about her is that she’s a fabulous baker. So when she gave it her her seal of approval, I knew they would be delicious and taste anything but healthy. And it’s been my go-to recipe for (cough) many, many years since college. 😉

healthy pumpkin chocolate chip cookies

Healthy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

• 1 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. milk
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Using a hand mixer, combine pumpkin, sugar, applesauce, egg and vanilla and mix well.
  3. Combine by whisking: flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt in a separate bowl.
  4. Dissolve baking soda in milk, then add to the wet mixture
  5. Gradually add dry mixture to wet and mix until just combined. Don’t overmix it!
  6. Fold in chocolate chips
  7. Grease a cookie sheet and use an ice cream scoop to measure out. (These are the BEST cookie sheets!)
  8. Bake for 10-12 minutes until they no longer look wet
  9. Let sit on pan for 2 minutes then remove to a wire rack to cool

*Once you put these in a tupperware, they get kind of sticky. So, I make them in small batches (refrigerating the leftover dough) and just leave them out until they are eaten.

DSC_1212-1

Make pumpkin cookies. Eat. Enjoy. Be happy. Maizey approves this message.

Do you have something you bake that officially signals fall to you? Pumpkin cookies and pumpkin bread are my must-bakes before it’s really fall for me.

Shop the Post

Newsletter

53 Comments

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun
    at

I’m making pumpkin choc chip cookies for our small group this Wednesday. I’ve seen them all over blog world and can’t wait to have some myself.

Lauren
    at

Mmm, pumpkin cookies are the best fall treat!

Heather (Heather's Dish)
    at

it’s all about the pumpkin for me too! you had me at “doesn’t taste healthy” 🙂

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston
    at

Pumpkin means falls here too! I made pumpkin chocolate chip muffins this past weekend (again, hehe).

Jennifer

Best fall treat ever! Thanks for sharing! 🙂 xoxo

Michelle (The Runner's Plate)
    at

I love pumpkin in anything: muffins, cookies, oats, pie. . . okay, mostly just in sweet things. 😉

Katie
    at

Oooo these look so good! Anything pumpkin screams fall to me – I’m going to have to make these asap.

BroccoliHut
    at

Yum! These look like little clouds of heaven!

Andrea
    at

Thank you for posting this recipe! I have been searching for a healthy pumpkin cookie/bar recipe. This fits the bill!

Claire
    at

Um, can I have one? Good thing I have the two key ingredients = Pumpkin + Chocolate Chips = heaven….

Teri
      at

they’d be easy to veganize too!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman
    at

Oh yum. The chocolate chips looked like raisins at first, but I’m glad to see they’re chocolate. I love that combo.

Stephanie @ The Cookie Battle
    at

Pumpkin is definitely the #1 sign that it’s fall! But close behind is gingerbread, I will be making some of that tonight!

Nichole
    at

My pumpkin cookies last year were a total fail, cannot wait to try again with a recipe like this.

Anything pumpkin rocks my socks. Pumpkin bread and apple orchards, fave time of year!

Krysten
    at

Oh yummy those look amazing!

Pumpkin and apple pies always signify fall for me!

Rachel
    at

Those cookies look delightful! I’m happy they remind you of fall 🙂

So many people seem into pumpkin these days that I can’t even think of anything else that is fall-reminiscent!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run]
    at

Oh, yes… fall can’t go by without a batch or two… or three of pumpkin muffins.

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather
    at

Pumpkin for sure but I think baking in general is very fall-ish to me. When the weather gets cooler I crave comforting foods and that definitely includes naked goodies.

Liz @ Blog is the New Black
    at

Ok, not big on pumpkin but these look way too good!

Shannon
    at

how about pumpkin cinnamon rolls 🙂 hehe, these look great! might need to get my bake on this weekend…

Andrea
    at

Couldn’t wait to try this and mine are hot out of the oven! I am a bit surprised at their cake-like consistency – I think I’d prefer them as muffins instead, but the flavors are spot on (definitely did the nutmeg and cloves – a MUST!) and they’re a good (healthier) treat.

Teri
      at

I should have mentioned their cake-like consistency. That’s how I’ve always had pumpkin cookies and prefer them that way, but I know some people might not like that for a cookie!

They would make awesome muffins! I think I need to try that!

Recipes: Pumpkin, Pumpkin, and more Pumpkin | Rubberbanditz.com
    at

[…] A Foodie Stays Fit made my new favorite snack, Healthified Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies […]

Melanie Big
    at

Wow! Those cookies make me hungry. Better try this one as soon as possible since Halloween is near I should practice making it to make it perfect. Thanks for sharing this healthy recipe of yours.

Melani Schoenhut
    at

Chocolate cookies are always my favorite but I never tried to bake my own cookies. Maybe it is the time for me to bake mine. LOL. Thanks for this easy and simple recipe of yours.

Drool-Worthy « Lauren Loves Good Food
    at

[…] been searching for a healthy pumpkin chocolate chip cookie recipe all week so when Teri’s recipe showed up in my google search I knew I’d found a […]

Slump No More! | Whole Wheat n' Wildberry
    at

[…] This morning I woke up in the same funk, but I refused to let it get the best of me. I made pumpkin cookies a la Teri. […]

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner
    at

Pumpkin Cookies — the best ever!! The more and more I explore your blog, the deeper and deeper my adoration for it becomes!!!

Teri
      at

oh yay! I’m so glad you are enjoying it! thank you!

janetha @ meals and moves

making these nowwww

one pot wonder. « meals & moves
    at

[…] i got home and ate two of teri’s healthy pumpkin cookies (i made a batch last […]

Heather McCarthy
    at

Delicious! I was looking for something just like this and Google led me to your recipe. I messed with it a bit (didn’t add any sugar, used pumpkin pie filling cause that’s all I could get (grrrr) and used applesauce with sugar. I added about a quarter up of wheat bran to the dry ingredients and a little extra pumpkin to make up for hte missing sugar. I still added extra cloves.nutmeg (like you, I like them.) Used broken up 70 percent lindt dark chocolate car instead of chips… and wow!! I will also try your exact recipe when I have the right things…but it worked for me. Thanks for helping me make healthy and tasty food.

Meg
    at

Lovely feel-good fall weekend here in Maine. Had been craving some homeade goodies. Made this recipe and I would have to admit…. BEST pumpkin chocolate chip cookies EVER ! !

Teri
      at

yay!! I’m so glad you liked them! Thanks for letting me know!

Healthified Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies « Class and Creation
    at

[…] leftover.  I looked around to try to find a good way to use the extra in a healthy way and found this recipe online.  I modified it just a bit, and they turned out […]

Kristy
    at

I made these cookies on the weekend and my kids loved them and I did not feel any guilt because they were healthy. I doubled the batch, added a cup of oatmeal and 3 cups WW flour and a little less sugar and they turned out great. Thanks for the great recipe.

Julia
    at

These were really good, but definitely more of a muffin texture than a cookie.

Alyssa
    at

I made these last week and brought them to a Thanksgiving Potluck- they got RAVE reviews. They’re incredibly easy to prepare, and even easier to consume (sans guilt).
    Thank you! I’m making more today… this time they’re staying home just for us 🙂

Jill
    at

These were AMAZING! In my experience the healthy baking recipes can be a little hit or miss in terms of texture, but these were awesome! I added a little ginger to the recipe and they came out the perfect combination of sweet and savory! yumm!

Really Healthy: Pumpkin Treats I The Magazine of Yoga
    at

[…] foodie TeriLyn delivers a delicately spiced and delicious applesauce-sweetened pumpkin chocolate chip cookie that will knock your socks off. “Make pumpkin cookes. Eat. Enjoy. Be […]

Tammy
    at

I was surprised by these…sooooooooo yummy and my kids(teenagers) cant get enough.

TY TY TY

gluten free vegan pumpkin chocolate cupcakes
    at

[…] out some other amazing pumpkin chocolate combos over the blog […]

Cara O'Sullivan
    at

This reciepe looks great. I tried it this evening and have two questions:

1) What size of canned pumpkin did you use? 8 oz. or a bigger size?
    2) 12 minutes didn’t seem long enough–the cookies weren’t baked all the way through.

I used dates instead of chips in half the batch I made. THank you.

Teri

Hi Cara!

I used an 8 oz can.

It might vary on your elevation. Just bake until they are springy to the touch, kind of like muffins.

I bet they are delicious with dates! I’ll have to try that!

Cara O'Sullivan
    at

I hadn’t thought of the elevation–we’re in a valley in the Rocky Mountains. Thanks!

Healthy Fall Cookie and Pasta Recipes | sarahthefitfoodie
    at

[…] Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies These Healthified Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies are from the A Foodie Stays Fit blog. I was craving some sort of sweet pumpkin treat and this hit […]

Melissa
    at

These look delicious. Has anyone tried using rolled oats, either whole or ground into flour, for a portion of the flour needed? I’m looking for ways to get more oatmeal into my diet. Thanks.

Anna
    at

I literally just made these and they are heaven! Thank you for posting this!

Bring on the PUMPKIN | California Endless Summer
    at

[…] is a little like that.  I searched the internet for a few recipes and went off of this one, but was hoping it would turn out a little less moist like this […]

Kara
    at

LOVE this recipe! Just FYI, I double it and make them all at one, then freeze them. They thaw super quick (and get eaten super quick)!