Breakfast/ Dessert/ Most Pinned Recipes/ Recipes

One of my all-time favorite recipes: Pumpkin Gingerbread

This is the best pumpkin bread recipe you’ll ever make. The pumpkin gingerbread is full of warm spices and it’s super simple to make!

I’m about to share something near and dear to my heart. It also happens to be near and dear to my mouth at this very moment.

Best Pumpkin Bread Recipe

Pumpkin Gingerbread.

pumpkin gingerbread-7

My all-time favorite quick bread. My all-time favorite sweet bread. Maybe just my all-time favorite bread, period. Let’s go.

Mix mix mix your ingredients. I used my Bosch, but if you don’t have an electric mixer, you can do this with a handheld mixer or Kitchen Aid.

pumpkin gingerbread-2

And the end of mixing, you’re looking for a thick batter. Like such.

pumpkin gingerbread-1

If you use the fall harvest loaf pan, make sure you spray it extra well. I also recommend flipping it over onto the cooling rack as soon as it comes out of the oven and let it cool that way. It’ll slowly come out and not break!

pumpkin gingerbread-3

Pour and bake.

pumpkin gingerbread-4

Let cool. Cross fingers that the darn fancy leaves come out pretty since you’d like to take this to your neighbor.

pumpkin gingerbread-5

• 2 1/2 cups spelt flour or whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1 c all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Grease two 9×5 inch loaf pans.
  3. In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, oil, applesauce and eggs; beat until smooth. Add water and beat until well blended. Mix in pumpkin until combined.
  4. In medium bowl, combine ginger, allspice, cinnamon, cloves, flours, soda, salt and baking powder. Add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture and blend just until all ingredients are mixed. Divide batter between greased pans.
  5. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, 50-60 minutes.
  6. Cool completely on a wire rack and store in an airtight container.

pumpkin gingerbread-8

It’s amazing when it’s warm with a little butter, but still fantastic as it cools. And it gets better after a day or two. My favorite time to eat it is the day-of when the crust is still slightly crunchy (it softens up after it’s stored). Enjoy!

Notes:

• I have added chocolate chips before, but I think it’s better without it. You get more of the ginger flavor without the chocolate competing.
  • For the flour, you could likely use 3.5 cups of spelt or whole wheat pastry flour instead of the split ratio. I just never have. You could also use all-purpose flour for the full amount if you don’t have spelt or ww pastry flour on hand.
  • I have been known to eat an entire loaf by myself within 24 hours.

Thanksgiving question of the day: Is it “dressing” or “stuffing”? I had never even heard of “dressing” until a few  years ago. It was always “stuffing” at my house, even if it wasn’t stuffed in a bird. Actually, I’m not sure if I’ve ever had stuffing from the inside of a bird…(Mom, have I?). I hope not. Because that’s disgusting.

Get the goods to make the bread!

Newsletter

69 Comments

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston
    at

Wow that pan leaves the bread looking gorgeous — LOVE!

christina
    at

It is definitely stuffing!!! Who dresses the bird?!?! So weird…omg and check out this site…it’s perfect for this post.

Jess @atasteofconfidence

it’s definitely stuffing:)
    bread looks amazing

Angie @ Everyday Inspirations
    at

I’m sooooo making this. YUM! Love your cute Williams Sonoma pan! Your bread turned out great!

Matt
    at

Looks awesome! I would like some of that right now 😉

Megan (Running Foodie)
    at

What a great loaf pan! W&S always has the cutest stuff!

ashly
    at

i was already planning on making pumpkin bread tomorrow! I am switching to this recipe. It looks so so yummy. I’m gonna have to use all all-purpose flour though. You won’t catch me heading out in the snow with 3 kids just for different flour! Wish me luck!

Teri
      at

I don’t blame you. Snow + kids + driving is a bad idea. I hope you like it! Miss your face!

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day
    at

Oooh, that looks incredible. You can just see the moisture in the bread.

I use dressing and stuffing interchangeably, regardless, they are never stuffed in my birds 🙂

Charliegirl
    at

yuummmm. warm with butter for breakfast…i can almost taste it!

Claire
    at

um bookmarked…beautiful and I am sure delicious!

oh, and definitely stuffing…

Robyn
    at

My high school bio teacher once told me that a majority of food poisoning cases around the holidays come from poorly cooked-in-bird stuffing. Yuck.

Teri
      at

eeewwww! well, that’s good to know!

Katie
    at

I have a pumpkin gingerbread recipe that I made last year, but yours looks way better.

Stuffing, dressing? Who cares. It’s awesome.

Ally
    at

Oh my yum. That looks so amazing! I must make this before the end of pumpkin season.

Stuffing is my vote. Dressing is just kind of weird.

Mama Pea
    at

Okay, read my post and then tell me what you think of this:

Pumpkin Gingerbread Bread Pudding.

I’m rethinking Thanksgiving dessert.

Teri
      at

hahaha! So funny! I need to try yours now too.

I think I might have to rethink my dessert too. Pumpkin Gingerbread Bread Pudding sounds amazing. Will you have a recipe created before Thursday? 😉

Lauren
    at

I think this is my favorite recipe too and I’ve never even made it. 😉

Jessica @ How Sweet
    at

I’ve never really been a fan of gingerbread, but I think that I would love this. Sounds delish girl!

Maddie (Healthy Maddie)
    at

Yum! I need to try this. I love pumpkin bread! I’ve always called it stuffing, I’ve actually never heard it called dressing.

Jenn @ Lean Body Pilates
    at

#1. I am making that bread this instant… It looks amazing!
    #2. I think it’s stuffing. However, I was talking to my mom yesterday and she called it dressing, which perplexed me as I don’t remember ever hearing that growing up… either way, hers is the best I have ever had.

Liz @ Blog is the New Black
    at

I was just looking for gingerbread recipes! 🙂 Thanks!

Stuffing… of course… even if it’s not from a bird- WHY would it be called “dressing?” I never got that!

Michelle M
    at

We always call it stuffing, but I found this tidbit of info…
    “The term stuffing first appears in English print in 1538. After 1880, it seems the term stuffing did not appeal to the propriety of the Victorian upper crust, who began referring to it as dressing. Nowadays, the terms stuffing and dressing are used interchangeably, with stuffing being the term of preference in the South and East portions of the United States. “

Teri
      at

ooooh, interesting! that’s funny that “stuffing” wasn’t quite uppity enough and that’s why they changed the name.

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun
    at

Pumpkin and gingerbread are my 2 favorite holiday flavors. This totally went in my to-make recipe folder. 😀

Jackie (ananda prana)
    at

That pan is so pretty!! Perfect holiday gift for someone who likes to bake 🙂

alana (at) the food

gingerbread is the bomb.

Heather (Heather's Dish)

that pan is AWESOME! such a beautiful creation 🙂

Damaris @Kitchen Corners
    at

Pumpkin plus ginger bread together rhymes with genius. I love your pretty pan.

Liz
    at

We always called it stuffing even when it wasn’t baked in a bird. But it’s really not disgusting when it is – it’s pretty delicious. But now I’m a vegetarian so I don’t roll that way anymore.

Courtney F
    at

That bread does look fabulous! I love the bread pan design!
    We have always had dressin'(no g required). =)

Lauren
    at

We definitely say stuffing at my house and it’s never been stuffed into anything but my stomach. That loaf pan is too cute and the bread looks to die for!

Ashley
    at

STUFFING!!! That bread looks awesome. Have you tried the baking spray with the flour in it? It works really well!! Although it looks like you had no problem with the release this time. 🙂 Hope you have an awesome Thanksgiving!! xo

Poppy @ From Fried Chicken to Tofu
    at

It’s totally dressing! Don’t ask me whay…it’s just what we alwasys called it at home growing up.

Also, I’m with hubby…chocolate chips would be awesome in the mix!

Nichole
    at

Can this screen be scratch and sniff?! Turned out perfect. Move over Martha.

Krista (kristastes)
    at

Definitely stuffing 🙂 That loaf pattern is so darn cute!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run]
    at

Recipe bookmarked – yum, girl, yummm!

Liz @ IHeartVegetables
    at

Woah, this looks SO good. And since I have no patience for bread that isn’t quick bread… this looks perfect 😉

Lauren
    at

Looks so good! I’ve always heard stuffing and never dressing.

Pure2raw Twins
    at

Wow, pumpkin gingerbread looks amazing!! I love both those flavors!!! This is really making me crave some pumpkin bread now 😉

~Lori

Katie
    at

Nothing is better than pumpkin gingerbread…especially for breakfast…all toasted up with butter on it. Sigh. How delicious.

My whole family says “dressing” – but I’m with you and say “stuffing” – even though it’s not stuffed into a bird. 🙂

Clare @ Fitting It All In
    at

Recipe looks fabulous! Love the healthy modifications:)

And totally STUFFING. Dressing sounds too proper. This stuff is not proper.

Jessica
    at

I just made a chocolate chip banana gingerbread that was to-die-for! I know what you mean about too many flavors competing that it can take away from the overall taste but this was perfect! I bet I’d love your recipe too. Ginger is one of my favorite flavors!

dana @ my little celebration
    at

Yummers! The bread looks amazing! I have been trying to find a good pumpkin bread recipe to make for my husband and this just may be it.

Thanks for sharing and Happy Thanksgiving!

» Blog Archive » Pumpkin Gingerbread
    at

[…] am learning!!  I made this awesome Pumpkin Gingerbread to bring to Thanksgiving and it was awesome!!  The recipe made so much that I had leftovers to […]

Tweets that mention One of my all-time favorite recipes: Pumpkin Gingerbread -- Topsy.com
    at

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Teri Zawrotny, Teri Zawrotny. Teri Zawrotny said: Q1. Pumpkin Gingerbread. It actually feels more Christmasy than fallish to me. http://tiny.cc/stu64 #mixermixer […]

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run]
    at

my plan is to make this [in muffin form] as a fun and delicious break b/w studying for finals 🙂

FAITH, FITNESS, FUN » Blog Archive » A Christmas Miracle
    at

[…] I baked up Teri’s Pumpkin Gingerbread for a holiday brunch party tomorrow. It’s a Christmas miracle I have refrained from cutting into […]

FAITH, FITNESS, FUN » Blog Archive » It’s SANTA!!!
    at

[…] can’t get over it, either. I also can’t get over how fantastic Teri’s Pumpkin Gingerbread tastes!!! It was a huge hit with everyone and with good […]

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner
    at

Pumpkin Gingerbread — oh la la!!!! I love the one with the designs! SO PRETTY!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run]
    at

I can’t wait to make this now that fall is approaching 🙂

Sarah
    at

I am allll into pumpkin gingerbread lately…. check out Angela’s recipe at ohsheglows.com …. her Pumpkin Gingerbread with Spiced Buttercream frosting is to DIE for. This recipe looks delish, but the blackstrap molasses and maple syrup in hers really makes that particular version SHINE! P.s. I’m not vegan so I included a regular egg instead of her chia egg.

Balancing Treats

[…] For starter’s, I did a muffin version of Teri’s Pumpkin Gingerbread. […]

Cassandra Marie
    at

What lovely recipe! I would love to make it but have a few questions…..living in Africa means I can not get some items. Could I use coconut oil work instead of applesauce? Apples are very $$$ out here. Also I can not get canned pumpkin but there are many pumpkins! Would homemade mashed pumpkin work just as well? Last question… would whole wheat flour work instead of whole wheat pastry flour? Thanks for your help. I would love to make this while living in Uganda.

Teri
      at

Yes, I think coconut oil would work. Any oil really. And definitely homemade mashed pumpkin would work. I’m just too lazy to do that! 🙂

Whole wheat flour will work but it will be a little denser than with pastry flour. You could sub in some white flour in place of it to keep the texture more consistent.

Good luck! let me know how it turns out!

Cassandra Marie
    at

Thanks Teri! I have some people staying with me next month(from South Sudan) and I will be making this for them. I will let you know how it turn out! My mouth is watering just thinking about it

Cassandra Marie
    at

I could not wait until June! Made it yesterday….and it is very YUMMY! A little dens but still very good. I’ll play with the flour rations again next time. Made enough homemade mashed pumpkin for two more batches… 🙂

Elizabeth
    at

I made two loaves today, cut the sugar by 1/2 cup (will do even less sugar next time) subbed the oil for more applesauce, and cut the water in half. I didn’t even pretend to measure my spices, I put in a good deal more than called for. Not very “ginger-y” but very, very good! I used pumpkin pie spice, ginger and cloves. Unfortunately, I sent the second loaf with my parents before I tasted my loaf. They wouldn’t have heard about it until they were back home after the holiday weekend… 3 hours away! I will be making this many times in the future! Only problem was it was kind of stick on the outside.
    Question: if I continue to cut the sugar, would I need to do anything else to get the quantities to balance?

Pumpkin Bread « healthy little habits

[…] adapted from A Foodie Stays Fit […]

Tis the season for pumpkin! Chapter Three: Pumpkin bread with brown butter maple whiskey glaze | Runs On Noms

[…] adapted from A Foodie Stays Fit.  Glaze adapted from Simply […]

Connections
    at

[…] also contributed one of my favorite holiday things to bake – Terri’s Pumpkin Gingerbread. I made it two years ago and have pulled that recipe out ever since. It’s a must make. This time, […]

Tanya
    at

I continue to make it a few dozen times per year ever since you first posted it. LOVE this recipe – thank you!

Kaitlin
    at

3 Cups of sugar seems like a lot. Have you tried replacing it or some of it with any other products? I know it makes 2 loaves, but all the other ingredients make it seem like it could be so much healthier.

Pumpkin Gingerbread | Inspired Abundance
    at

[…] one took a couple of times, but I think I have it right.  I saw a recipe for pumpkin gingerbread earlier this week on the web, and it sounded so good.  The original was filled with all kinds […]

Pumpkin Bread with Browned Butter Whiskey Glaze - Ready to Yumble

[…] Pumpkin bread adapted from A Foodie Stays Fit. […]

Catching up + Pumpkin Gingerbread |

[…] Get the recipe here. […]

The Best Ever Healthy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe | Gluten Free Web
    at

[…] you have something you bake that officially signals fall to you? Pumpkin cookies and pumpkin bread are my must-bakes before it’s really fall for […]

Sharon Shropshire
    at

Your marathon times are fantastic!! Keep it up. I want to try this bread for a Fall celebration where I work. Sounds more healthy than most. I love a lot of spices and I think our clientele will go for it. Physical therapy clients, variety of age and socio economic people. Keep up with the recipes. I love these loaves too.

Thank you!