Weekender

The Weekender + Book Club

Happy Sunday. Mine has been happy indeed. I got my hair did. [For you locals, I went to the new guy, Joel, at Aveda Grassroots (by The Fresh Market).] I thought he did a great job! He put in more lowlights and a few new highlights and took about an inch off. Dude was a perfectionist, which is exactly what you want in a stylist.

DSC 0466What? No! I hadn’t been drinking wine when this picture was taken. My teeth just naturally have a purple tint.

I started out my morning today with an almond milk latte from Camino Bakery before going to a moderate flow yoga class. I had been at Camino earlier in the week for book club. We were discussing The Fault in our Stars. Definitely recommend!

DSC 0357

I love having our book club at Camino. Such a cozy place.

DSC 0358

You know what else I love? Wine. I also love how I tried to curl my hair with a flat iron last week. Can you see how well it worked out for me?

DSC 0362

I digress. Back to book club. At Camino, I got their gluten-free almond horn with their red wine special of the day, a malbec. Oh oops. Somehow I came back to wine. Sorry about that.

DSC 0348

Babies are invited to book club too. Especially when it’s Baby Bo. And that is my famous author friend Meg. 🙂

DSC 0352

Bo joined the drinking festivities.

DSC 0356

Anyway, my weekend has been great. I did a 12 mile treadmill run yesterday. I averaged around an 8:00 minute/mile pace. The first two miles I warmed up around 8:30, then dropped it to 8:00 until about mile 10 and then ran the last two miles around 7:15-7:30. I was watching episodes of “Homeland” for the bulk of the run but when I ran out of downloaded episodes, I switched to music and felt the urge to run faster. Music really helps my speed.

Ok, let’s get to The Weekender.  Then I have to edit a bunch of pictures because I have some yummy recipes coming up for you this week.

The Weekender

• Stop being late by first figuring out what kind of Late you are. [Ugh, I’m always late. Even all the tricks they recommend don’t work. But I’m still trying!]
  • I need to teach Maizey to do this.

Last Week’s Workouts

S – 7 mile run

M – I dunno

T – 4 mile treadmill run

W – 4.5 mile treadmill run

Th – 30 minute elliptical

F – circuit training, including lots of jumping squats, jumping lunges, and burpees. Ouuucchhh.

S – 12 mile treadmill run

And today, my quads hurt. bad. someone come rub BenGay on them. Actually, don’t. That’d be weird. But you could pay for a massage for me. Yes, do that instead.

Are you watching the Superbowl? I didn’t even know who was playing it in until yesterday.

Confess: Do you drink “bad” coffee?

Tell me: Can ANYONE curl their hair with a flat iron??

Newsletter

16 Comments

christina
    at

PRETTY HAIR!! I didn’t even notice your teeth bc I was looking at your gorgeous locks! 🙂 I will bring you dates if we can make those bars…and drink wine…

Miranda@Miranda's Munchies
    at

Hair looks so good!! And I JUST got the Fault in Our Stars last week. I’m going to begin reading it soon! I’m really looking forward to it but I have a feeling it’s going to be sad! I use to have trouble curling my hair with a flat iron but finally I got the hang of it. I guess my advice would be to make sure the iron is really hot, make sure your hair hasn’t previously been straightened (as in you didn’t straighten it in the morning and then decide to curl it!), make sure it is not damp at all, and then keep the hair taut as you twist it through the iron. Complicated, I know!

Teri [a foodie stays fit]
      at

I don’t get how to twist it through the iron? I’m gonna go watch some YouTube videos. 🙂

The book is sad but there is a lot of humor too. I actually laughed more than I cried.

BroccoliHut
    at

I’m with you on the Superbowl–my husband I just watch every year to see the ads and to have an excuse to make tacos. As a girl from Alabama, I really should be more into the whole football thing, but I would much rather read a book or watch Mad Men 🙂

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run
    at

way to go with the runs this week, girlie!

confession: yes, I do drink “bad” coffee =/

what’s your favorite “good” coffee?

Katie
    at

I ONLY know how to curl my hair with a flat iron…a curling iron makes it to shirly-temple-looking. I wish I knew how to explain it in words…start at the root, twist the iron 180 degrees (basically turn it backwards), then pull down to the tip of your hair with the iron still twisted. Did that make ANY sense? I’m sure you could you-tube it.

Lauren @ sassy molassy
    at

I love your hair. I am always nervous to try a new stylist. Love the black patterned dress you are wearing!

Teri [a foodie stays fit]
      at

Thanks Lauren! Yeah, it is nerve-wracking to try a new stylist but I’ve never been steered wrong at that salon so I was a little more comfortable 🙂

Meghan
    at

I love so many things about this: the wine-centric theme of this post, the book club shout out, my darling baby Bo getting a cameo, and the wine-centric theme.

YouTube tutorials helped me w/ the flat iron curling but then I decided I like curling iron curls better anyways and I stopped.

Also, I love love love that article about lateness. Except I really wanted to send it to certain people in my life and I don’t think that’s very nice is it?

Teri [a foodie stays fit]
      at

If you sent the lateness article to me I wouldn’t be offended because I was thinking of your 30 by 30 list when I found it 🙂

Meg
        at

Ever consider that being late is part of your programming? ie. the more you own being a person who always runs the late, the more you’re likely to keep doing it. Just this crazy idea I read in a book once… 🙂

PS, I don’t actually ever think of you as being someone who runs late. Back in the day when we did early morning body pump, you were always there first!

Anna P
    at

Loved that coffee article…justifies the snazzy new espresso maker with built in burr grinder that now sits in our kitchen. My favs: Philz (SF), Victrola (Seattle) and Stumptown!

Teri [a foodie stays fit]
      at

you just named my favorite coffee places! I’ve been to all three! Victrola is such a beautiful building too. Actually, I think I’m going to order some Stumptown coffee today! 🙂