This superfood matcha maca smoothie recipe is packed with antioxidants, vitamins and minerals to help you recover from a tough workout. Plus, the matcha and maca help stabilize energy levels.
I am the rare person who craves salads and smoothies more in the fall than in the summer. (At least I think that’s rare?) This combo is one of my favorites right now since it’s an easy way to get a good mix of carbs, protein and fat after a run, which is important for recovery, and the addition of spinach, matcha, and cacao nibs mean it’s packed with antioxidants. The maca (powdered root vegetable) and the matcha (powdered green tea) also help provide energy without the jittery rush (and subsequent crash) that coffee often brings. Some studies say maca helps improve endurance too. And besides all of the health benefits, it just tastes good. And that matters too. 🙂
Superfood Matcha Recovery Smoothie
- 1 cup vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1-2 scoops vanilla protein powder (depends on the brand – just use whatever is 1 serving! I use Vega Sport or Less Naked Pea Protein)
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 2 big handfuls of spinach
- 2 teaspoons matcha powder
- 1 teaspoon maca powder
- handful of ice
- 1 tablespoon cacao nibs
- Combine all the ingredients, except the cacao nibs, in a high-powdered blender, and blend until nice & creamy.
- Add in the cacao nibs and pulse a few times to break them up. I just like them in smaller pieces for this smoothie. 🙂
By the way, do yourself a favor and getcha a Vitamix. It’s worth the investment, and a total game changer in the kitchen. I linked a few options to choose from depending on your budget! Refurbished is a great way to go too. (That’s what I have!)
Shop the Post