Happy Hump Day! I had some serious anxiety last night and this morning when my computer was totally frozen and unresponsive. Even after forcing it off by holding down the power button, it’d come back on with all the screens still up and frozen. And then I got a pale blue screen of death! I was freaking thinking my computer was dead. (It’s been having issues since I have way too many pictures on it. ha!) But, I forced it to shut down again and then it rebooted and is working fine now. PHEW! So, that’s why I’ve been kinda MIA.
1. What brings you the greatest joy? Being outside in beautiful weather, whether I’m running, chatting with friends or family, walking the pup or just reading a magazine. I love this time of year – the weather is perfect for all this!
2. What are your vices? Cursing. (I’m sorry Mom!) I’m really working on cleaning up my language! I also have a voice in the back of my head that says coffee and wine are my vices. 😉 (I’m sorry again Mom!)
3. What is on your nightstand? A lamp (I got these clear ones from West Elm recently and LOVE them!) and a mini orchid I bought for myself as a reward for PRing at the Raleigh Half Marathon. 🙂 The drawer is full of books, magazines, journals, a kindle, hair elastics, a sleeping eye mask thingy (my friend Allison got me hooked on sleeping with one to block out light), chapstick, lotion and…I think that’s it. 🙂
4. Do you have a secret talent? People I grew up with know this, but I play the piano. Err…I should say I hope I can still play the piano. I took lessons for 13 years and was pretty darn good, if I may say so myself. But it’s been over 10 years since I’ve really played and I’m worried I can’t read music anymore! I should get a keyboard or a piano off craigslist… or go claim the one my mom is holding hostage in Utah!
5. What is your greatest indulgence? Doing nothing. I always feel like I have a million things I need to do or should do, so sitting on the couch and watching TV, or sitting and reading a book and not trying to multitask while doing either one of those is a big indulgence.
6. What should every woman try at least once in her life? A trip alone, even if it’s just a weekend. I went to Asheville, NC for a few days a couple of years ago by myself and it was a great experience. It gave me confidence to eat alone and go do activities alone. I had a lot of time to think and reflect and just veg out. It was really really nice. A total mental reboot. I need to get another solo trip on the books! (I actually wrote this post while I was on that Asheville trip and it’s still one of my most popular posts.)
7. What makes you laugh? Maizey! She is such a spaz. Yesterday morning I heard a huge bang and Maizey had lunged at the window and was having a staredown contest with a cat outside (see it?). She always has the funniest expressions (so goofy or soooo dramatic) and has hilarious sitting postures too. I love that pup.
8. What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you? That I really love budgeting and reading finance books. I guess you probably know that if you’ve been reading for a while since I’ve blogged about my budget, but I really do enjoy looking at my budget and money goals and reading books, blogs and articles about saving, investing, etc.
9. What is on your bucket list? Travel!!! So many places! Cinque Terre, Florence, Tuscany, all over England, Austria, Germany, Maine, Northern California again, Oregon again, Washington state again, Canada. I want to see it all! 🙂
10. What is on your feet right now? Flip flops! I just got a pedicure!
11. How did you make your first dollar? I sold rocks to my neighbors, convincing them I’d handpicked the best rocks around. hahahahah. seriously. Some neighbors still talk about it and how I was just too cute and persuasive to say no too. “Precocious” was the word they used, which as a kid I thought was an insult the way I heard them say it to my parents. ha! I’ve always thought I could never be in sales, but maybe I have the natural ability! 😉
12. What superstition do you believe in? That people go nuts around a full moon. I wish on stars. And I don’t tell many people when I have a big goal because I’m scared I’ll jinx it. 😉
13. What items in your closet do you wear the most? To work, my red Banana Republic Sloan pants. Outside of work, my workout and yoga clothes. I wear them for workouts and for lounging. 🙂 I’m sure I’ll start to enjoy wearing cute casual clothes again now that the weather has warmed up.
14. What is the best gift you’ve ever received? My mom and brother surprising me in Utah last year for my birthday! Never mind the fact that we spent a good chuck of the weekend at the hospital! It was still great to spend time with them and have my brother there to calm me down and make me laugh instead of crying so much. 🙂
15. What is on your liquor shelf? I don’t have one. But I have two mini bottles of whiskey in my freezer that I bought for various recipes. Oh, and I have Baileys and some other liquor I bought for girls’ weekend for the ladies to put in their coffee, but no one boozed it up!
16. What is on your kitchen counter? A Keurig, John’s Vitamix that I stole, two kinds of salts (kosher and Omnivore Salt), block of knives, cooking oil, black pepper grinder and two magazines.
17. What would you never leave home without? Something to put on my lips – gloss, chapstick, something!
18. What movie has the greatest ending? Geez, I don’t know! I haven’t watched a movie in ages. I do love the ending of Runaway Bride. It’s been one of my favorites since high school. I guess I’ve always had a thing for older men. ha!
19. Who is on the guest list for your ideal dinner party? I love smaller group settings, so I’d want to have multiple dinner parties with different groups. 🙂
20. What is one thing you wish you had known when you were younger? That I can change my life at any time. You just have to take a leap (or ten!) of faith and get past your fears.
Ok, now it’s your turn! Pick one of these questions and answer! Or, you can leave another question for me in the comments and I’ll answer it in a future post!