M – 5 miles, 8:15 pace, just an easy, casual run
T – Intervals, 7 miles, average 7:40 pace
- 1.25 mile warm-up & cool-down
- 4 x 1600 – I was aiming for 7:00 – 7:10 minute miles – and I pretty close to my goal pace, which I was thrilled with.
- 400 easy jog in between each interval
- The wind was AWFUL this night and I felt a little twinge in my quad towards the end… and that turned into something worse later in the week. 🙁
W – quick, condensed bootcamp workout with Tommy. We worked out on our own and did just a short bootcamp workout to work up a sweat.
- 3 rounds: 50 double unders, 25 situps, 20 overhead walking lunges, 500m row
Th – 6 mile run, 8:50 pace.
- This was supposed to be a tempo run, but I could barely eek out an easy run. My legs felt dead and my quad was really bothering me. I almost called Tommy to come pick me up after about 2 miles; I should have. 🙁
- I also went to hot yoga at Paz Studios that night. My quad was killing me, so I was hoping it just needed to be stretched out. Yoga felt amazing but my quad was still hurting.
F – CrossFit Open 16.2, 339 reps
- This workout had hanging knee-ups from a bar, jump roping and squat cleans. It was a really fun workout! And somehow, it didn’t bother my quad at all.
We have such great people at Top Tier! Tommy and I both got Courtney as our coach, and Mike and Jeff were huge supporters the whole night too. Thank you guys for all you do!
S – I attempted my long run and the pain in my right quad was so intense, I had to turn around after about 30 steps. I was so frustrated. I went into the gym and got on the elliptical for an hour, which felt okay.
I later when to Fleet Feet to pick their brains about it (google said I had a strained quad and the folks at Fleet Feet agreed that’s what it sounds like). They recommended some CW-X tights to help support the muscle once the pain subsides. I also got a new pair of shoes – it’s been YEARS since I’ve tried shoes on in person (I’ve bought my last 4 pairs online) and it was really fun finding the right fit; the staff was super helpful, friendly and knowledgeable. I got the Adidas AdiZero Bostons – I’m super excited to run in them once my quad cooperates. They feel more responsive than my Brooks PureConnects, and that’s saying something because I love the PureConnects.
(I posted a few pics on Snapchat – terilynhutchie)
How I feel: Frustrated. I was starting to feel really good about my training. Lesson learned to stretch before things become an issue! I think it was pushing the pace on a tight quad (which was likely extra tight after all the lunges in 16.1) that caused the strain. Who knows. So this week, I’ll be sticking to the elliptical, icing and taking ibuprofen. Any other advice?