Last week’s workout recap + how to stay motivated to run without a race
Here’s a secret: sometimes I find it really hard to get motivated to run if I don’t have a race on my calendar. That’s a big reason I registered for the Mistletoe Half Marathon last year because I just wasn’t getting out the door to run, and I just don’t feel like myself if I don’t run. When I picked up my mileage last fall, I started to pay attention to what mileage made me feel “sane” that still allowed me to do CrossFit. And that magic number for me is around 25 miles.
So I set a weekly goal in Strava at 25 miles and meeting that goal definitely gets me out the door. I wouldn’t have run Sunday morning if I didn’t see that I was at 22 miles for the week the night before. While I won’t always hit 25 – life happens, I crave other workouts, my body needs a break, my mind needs a break — it’s a good way to motivate me without the structure of a training plan. Just as the body needs down periods in a training cycle, so does the mind. Alright, onto the recap!
Last Week’s Workouts
M – CrossFit
- Front squats: 6×2 (increasing weight – 85, 95, 105, 115, 120, 125)
- AMRAP: 13 box jumps, 11 pushups, 9 deadlifts @ 125#. I did 6 rounds + 26 reps.
T – REST
W – 4.8 miles with Ali, 8:38 pace
Th – 5.2 miles, 8:24 pace
- This morning was BEAUTIFUL. The azaleas are in full bloom and the skies were amazing after a crazy storm the night before. I’m glad it was so gorgeous because the elevation change on that particular route is a doozy.
F – 5.2 miles, 7:44 pace + CrossFit
- I was so happy with this run and seeing negative splits again. My mile times were 8:31, 7:49, 7:45, 7:23, and 6:53 (that last mile and a lot of downhill! 😉 ). It’s been great to run without a set plan like I do when I’m training for a race and just run how I feel.
- Crossfit was a short & sweet workout, which is nice on a Friday night.
- 10 rounds of 4 handstand push-ups, every minute on the minute
- For time: 15-12-9-6-3 power cleans and air squats x2. I did my cleans at 65# and finished in 4:48. I was glad my friend Alise was there to push me!
Sa – 7.1 miles with Kim and Kate, 8:00 pace
- This run flew by! I’m so grateful for running friends!
Su – 4.1 miles, 8:20 pace + watching the Masters!
- I love running downtown on Sunday mornings since it’s so quiet and there are no cars. This is definitely a run that wouldn’t have happened if I didn’t have a weekly mileage goal and I’m so glad I ran. Running when the city hasn’t woken up yet is one of my favorite things.
Total Mileage: 26.5
How I feel: GREAT.
I really love just running whatever distance and pace I feel like. My calf and glute are still a little grumpy, but without a race on the calendar, I don’t feel the pressure to get in for needling. However, I definitely need to make sure I stretch and foam roll so things don’t get super messed up again.
I still have a marathon recap on my to-do’s! Planning to share this week, especially since I just heard some crazy news about the race course! Stay tuned! Hope your week is off to a great start!