So you guys know that I love/hate my ice baths right? Whenever I’ve posted about it, I get comments asking how I handle them. Well, here are the 5 things I’ve found that make them slightly more tolerable. 🙂
1. Dive right in. Don’t ease in, don’t dip a toe. Let the tub fill, dump in your ice and then get right in and sit down. NOW. 😉
2. Drink hot tea (or coffee or hot chocolate) while in the tub. It has never tasted so good. This helps keep my fingers from going numb too.
3. Bring a distraction. A book, your phone, turn on House of Cards on your iPad. Anything to take your mind off it.
4. Embrace the discomfort. Think about how it’s making you a better runner, reducing soreness, helping you to run stronger, sooner. Think about all the good things that come from ice baths. Shoot, tell yourself lies if you have to. “This makes me sexier. This makes me badass.” (Those aren’t actually lies though.)
5. Write a blog post. I wrote this on my phone while sitting in the tub. Seriously. 🙂
I take ice bath after my long runs (usually whatever distance I’m doing on the weekend, 10 miles or more lately). And I get in the ice bath after
I’ve put my legs up
for 5-7 minutes.
My last ice bath was 53 degrees. I keep thinking this is a pregnancy test in my photo stream. Nope, just a thermometer. ha!
Do you take ice baths? How do you cope?