The yummiest, healthy pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. The cookies are light and fluffy with the perfect pumpkin flavor without being overly sweet.
- 1 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare two baking sheets by lining with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream together pumpkin, sugar, applesauce, egg and vanilla and mix well. You should have a fluffy, light brown mixture.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, salt and baking powder in a separate bowl.
- Gradually add the dry mixture to wet and mix until just combined. Don’t over-mix it!
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Use a small ice cream scoop to form the cookies and place 1-1.5″ apart. They don’t spread so they can be close.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes until they feel springy when you touch them. Don’t over-bake!
- Remove to a wire rack to cool.
If you like a slightly flatter cookie, press each mound down with the back of the ice cream scoop.
This required three sheet pans to bake all the dough, so the cook time is 7-10 minutes per round. (The recipe notes at the top lists the total time baking so you have an accurate estimate of how long it’ll take to make the full recipe.)
I prefer to bake one sheet at a time to ensure even baking. But, I prep two sheets so I can put the second one in as soon as the first comes out. Then, I let the first pan cool a bit before reloading with dough to bake for the last round.
These are best eaten the same day but still fine in an airtight container for 3-4 days. However, I do recommend baking them in small batches and baking just what you need for the day. (You can refrigerate the rest of the dough for 3-4 days until you’re ready to bake more.) Who doesn’t love daily, freshly-baked cookies?
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 57
- Sugar: 5.3
- Sodium: 77.3
- Fat: 1.6
- Saturated Fat: 0.8
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 9.8
- Fiber: 1.6
- Protein: 1.2
- Cholesterol: 4.1