- 1/4 dry steel cut oats, rinsed
- 3/4 c water
- 1/2 ripe banana, thinly sliced
- 2 T chopped walnuts (or more/less to your taste)
- 1 T brown sugar (or more if feeling particularly indulgent and/or you want a thicker sugar “crust”)
- Toast the steel cut oats over medium heat until you smell a nutty aroma.
- Combine the toasted steel cut oats with the water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer about 20 minutes (or until water is absorbed).
- While the oats cook, place the walnuts in a skillet over low heat. Toast until you once again smell a nutty aroma.
- When the oats are finished cooking, place in a heat-proof bowl (i.e. glass or ceramic, not plastic). Layer the sliced bananas on top.
- Evenly sprinkle the brown sugar on top and using a kitchen torch, melt the sugar, holding the torch about 6 inches away from the surface. Look for the sugar to melt, then slightly bubble. [If you don’t have a kitchen torch, place a rack in the top of your oven and use your broiler to melt the sugar.]
- Let the bowl sit for about a minute until the sugar cools and hardens, then sprinkle the walnuts on top.
- Enjoy! [Handle carefully since the bowl might be hot!]