What to wear running is a question every runner asks themselves before heading out, whether they’re a beginner or have completed dozens of races. I have a few go-to brands for my running clothes and specific things that I buy over and over. And then there are a few things that last for YEARS that are worth the investment – like a Garmin running watch and a pair of good earbuds. (Airpods are my go-to for most workouts – read my review here). I am newly obesseed with my Hyperice Hypervolt, which is actually what most massage therapists use if you see them! I use it daily and it’s completely changed the game!
My favorite running clothes
- Lululemon Fast & Free 7/8 tights – they’re lightweight enough for warmer days but also got me through all my cold runs during the winter. (If you live in a very cold climate — I’m in North Carolina — try to get your hands on their fleece lined leggings when they come out!) While training for the Boston Marathon, I did all my long runs in the Fast & Free tights since they can hold a ton of fuel. I also love the pocket at the back of the waistband to hold my phone – it doesn’t bounce AT ALL. I wear a 2 in these.
- Lululemon Speed-Up Shorts – they’re a classic for a reason. Flattering, comfortable, tons of colors. I wear a size 4.
- Oiselle Roga Shorts – these are longer and a tad looser than the Speed-up shorts which sometimes I just prefer.
- Tanks – when I want a looser option, I grab the Sculpt Tank. When I want something fitted, I go to the Swiftly Tech Racerback. I wear a size 2 in both. The Oiselle Flyout tank is also fantastic. Another tank I love is this perforated tank. I also buy Men’s Lululemon tanks! They will hem them for you in store and they make a great loose crop! I love the the Metal Vent Breathe Tank which is breathable.
- Lululemon Long Line Energy Bra – I am a 30/32 C so I need a little more support. This is PERFECT. It’s flattering but supportive without feeling restrictive.
- Lululemon Align pants – my go-to for yoga on my rest days!
- Senita Shorts – sometimes i love fitted shorts and sometimes I hate them. On the days I love them, the Senita Rio Shorts are the BEST I’ve found. They don’t ride up, are comfy and affordable. (Save 10% with this link.)
For the 2019 Boston Marathon, I wore Senita shorts, the Lululemon long line bra and Oiselle flyout tank, pictured above!
Running shoes are a very personal thing and you should get fitted at a specialty running store, but I have three pairs I rotate among.
- Adidas Boston – super versatile for all types of runs (read my review here). I’ve gone through eight pairs over the years. They’re a must-have in my rotation!
- Nike Vaporfly 4% – these are unlike ANY shoe I’ve ever run in. I set PRs in both my half and full marathon when wearing them! They’re very pricey so I only wear them for key workouts and race day to save the miles on them. Read my full review here!
- Brooks Launch – great for easy or recovery runs! They’re more cushioned than the others and I can usually find the previous year model on sale.
- Pegasus 36 – They’re springy but cushioned. AND they look cute. Such a good all around shoe. This is the shoe I pack when I travel! I have the 35, but the 36 is out now!
My favorite running clothes, shoes & gear
Ready to run?
I'll send you advice for getting started and staying motivated, my favorite running gear, playlists, tips to increase your speed, avoid injuries and more!