What to wear running is a question every runner asks themselves before heading out, whether they’re a beginner or have completed dozens of races. I have a few go-to brands for my running clothes and specific things that I buy over and over. And then there are a few things that last for YEARS that are worth the investment – like a Garmin running watch and a pair of good earbuds. (Airpods are my go-to for most workouts – read my review here). I am newly obessed with my Hyperice Hypervolt, which is actually what most massage therapists use if you see them! I use it daily and it’s completely changed the game!
My favorite running clothes
- Lululemon Fast & Free 7/8 tights – they’re lightweight enough for warmer days but also got me through all my cold runs during the winter. (If you live in a very cold climate — I’m in North Carolina — try to get your hands on their fleece lined leggings when they come out!) While training for the Boston Marathon, I did all my long runs in the Fast & Free tights since they can hold a ton of fuel. I also love the pocket at the back of the waistband to hold my phone – it doesn’t bounce AT ALL. I wear a 2 in these.
- Lululemon Speed-Up Shorts – they’re a classic for a reason. Flattering, comfortable, tons of colors. I wear a size 4.
- Oiselle Roga Shorts – these are longer and a tad looser than the Speed-up shorts which sometimes I just prefer.
- Tanks – when I want a looser option, I grab the Sculpt Tank. When I want something fitted, I go to the Swiftly Tech Racerback. I wear a size 2 in both. The Oiselle Flyout tank is also fantastic. Another tank I love is this perforated tank. I also buy Men’s Lululemon tanks! They will hem them for you in store and they make a great loose crop! I love the the Metal Vent Breathe Tank which is breathable. I also wear this Oiselle Flyte tank weekly it seems like.
- Lululemon Long Line Energy Bra – I am a 30/32 C so I need a little more support. This is PERFECT. It’s flattering but supportive without feeling restrictive.
- Athleta Advance Bra – when my weight fluctuates and my cup size goes up to a D, I wear this bra.
- Adjustable Wirefree Bra – So good for pregnancy since you can adjust the tightness of the straps for more or less support.
- Lululemon Align pants – my go-to for yoga on my rest days! I also love these for cross-training, yoga or riding the Peloton.
- Lululemon Fast and Free shorts 10″ -Sometimes I love fitted shorts and sometimes I hate them. During pregnancy, I wore them almost exclusively since they helped with chafing. I also love the Long Pocket Jogger Shorts from Oiselle.
Running shoes are a very personal thing and you should get fitted at a specialty running store, but I have a number of pairs I rotate among. You can read a review of each on this post.
- Adidas Boston – super versatile for all types of runs (read my review here). I’ve gone through eight pairs over the years. They’re a must-have in my rotation!
- Nike Vaporfly 4% – these are unlike ANY shoe I’ve ever run in. I set PRs in both my half and full marathon when wearing them! They’re very pricey so I only wear them for key workouts and race day to save the miles on them. Read my full review here! The 4% are discontinued, so I’ve linked the new version.
- Brooks Launch – great for easy or recovery runs! They’re more cushioned than the others and I can usually find the previous year model on sale.
- Pegasus 37 – They’re springy but cushioned. AND they look cute. Such a good all around shoe. This is the shoe I pack when I travel! Read my full review here.
- New Balance Beacons – I’ve run in these frequently during pregnancy and LOVE them. They have more cushion than my others shoes but they aren’t mushy if that makes sense. Read my full review here.
My favorite running clothes, shoes & gear
Ready to run?
Join my FREE mini Running Bootcamp and I'll share my favorite running shoes, advice on what to eat before a run, tips to run faster and more!