These cookies were born on a stormy night last weekend, during an absolute downpour – like can’t-see-the-street-it’s-raining-so-hard downpour. But I wanted chocolate, I wanted something decadent. I also didn’t want to leave Maizey to face the storm alone while I went to the store to restock my pathetically empty cupboards. (And I didn’t particularly want to drown in the rain.) I also didn’t want something that tasted too healthy. I wanted a treat, dammit.
And these worked out perfectly. And, really, they’re not too unhealthy. But that doesn’t matter on a day when all you want is a treat, dammit.
Gluten Free Fudgy Almond Cocoa Cookies
makes 7-8 cookies
rough nutrition stats per cookie (based on 8 cookies): 75 calories, 5.7 g fat, 1 g fiber, 3 g sugar, 2.5 g protein
Stuff ya need
1 t ground flax + 3 t water
1/4 c unsalted almond butter
1 heaping teaspoon agave syrup
3/4 t vanilla extract
1 T cocoa powder
dash of salt
1 – 2 T chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350*.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the flax & water and let sit a few minutes until slightly thickened.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir until combined.
4. Using a mini ice cream scoop (or teaspoon), drop onto a greased baking sheet. (I put down foil and sprayed that to make clean-up easy.)
5. Bake for 10 minutes.
6. Carefully move to a cooling rack and let cool.
They are equally delicious warm and cooled. As they cooled, they tasted more like chocolate and less like the almond butter, which I liked.
I made a small batch because it was just me and I have no self control with treats in the house, but I imagine this could be easily doubled or tripled. I said it made 7-8 cookies because I ate a good portion of the dough. Otherwise, I could have had 8 cookies. 🙂
See the melted chocolate chip in there? mmmmm.