Easy Whole Grain Waffles (gluten free AND dairy free!)
- 1 cup rolled oats (be sure to buy certified gluten free if you have celiac)
- 1 Tbsp coconut flour (you can use any flour here but coconut flour works well if you need gluten-free)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1/2 cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly (so it doesn’t curdle your egg!)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: ¼ cup of crushed walnuts
1) Heat your waffle iron. I use the highest setting on mine, but experiment with what works for yours.
2) Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl (rolled oats, coconut flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt)
3) Add in the wet ingredients (egg, almond milk, coconut oil, vanilla).
4) Once all ingredients are in the large bowl, whisk until well mixed. The waffle batter should be quite thick.
5) Spray your waffle iron with non-stick spray.
6) Scoop half the waffle mixture into the iron and spread out with a spoon.
7) Cook until they are browned and crispy – usually, it’s longer than the time allowed for your waffle iron’s default setting.
8) Pop your waffle out of the iron and place it on a covered plate to keep the waffle warm (if you’re making your second waffle)
I love it with a little melted earth balance & pure maple syrup, or with peanut butter and maple syrup. (The homemade coffee vanilla peanut butter from Run Fast Eat Slow is especially delicious on this!)
I use unsweetened original flavor almond milk since I don’t want the extra sugar or vanilla flavor in many almond milks!
Keywords: Breakfast, waffles, snack