I’ll teach you how to curl your hair with a curling iron in 10 minutes. This video tutorial shows you how and what products I use so my curls last all day (or multiple days)! A curling iron is easier than a flat iron and you don’t have to spend a ton of money to find a good one.
The vast majority of days I curl my hair, rather than leaving it straight or smoothing it out with a flat iron. I feel more polished and my hair is more comfortable during the day with some curl to it since it stays out my face more easily! Another benefit of taking a few minutes to curl it is that it looks cuter if I pull it back in a pony tail during the day and if I lift weights, I can just do a low bun and it still looks fine post-workout or even on day two. (But if I do cardio, I have to wash my hair – I get too sweaty!)
I’ve attempted to curl my hair with a flat iron and it’s just a total disaster. But, I find it super easy to use a curling iron so I stick with that method. Plus, it gives a more polished look vs. beach waves, which I generally prefer.
There are two videos – one with shorter hair and one with longer hair. I use the same method no matter how long my hair is – the only thing that changes is the size of the curling iron.
How to curl your hair with a curling iron in 10 minutes!
You can see my IGTV video with a sped-up tutorial here.
My hair products
I show in the video a few products I use, and I also linked them below. Some of the hair products that I use have changed since I filmed the first video when my hair is shorter so the below list is the most current that I use (and what is shown in the first video).
They’re listed in the order that I apply them.
- Beautycounter Shampoo & Conditioner. I use a tiny amount (dime sized for shampoo, nickel sized for conditioner) so my hair isn’t weighed down with too much product.
- L’Oreal Serie Expert Volumetry Root Spray – I spray on my roots before I dry it.
- KMS THERMASHAPE Straightening Creme – This is a heat protectant that smooths hair and helps hold the curls. (It doesn’t straighten it, contrary to what the name implies!)
After applying the root spray and straightening cream, I blow dry my hair and curl it. Then, I apply the following.
- Kerastase volume in powder spray – I spray this at the roots and then use fingers to massage into hair to help lift at the roots
- Davines “This is a Dry Texturizer” – this adds a little bit of hold and separation to the curls. It also smooths the ends.
Both the blowdryer and curling iron were recommended by my hair stylist and I love them. And especially I love the price point on both since I didn’t want to shell out hundreds of dollars on either one!
- Alligator clips. I’ve since ordered these since filming to help pin up my hair as I do the layers and they’re great. I don’t need these as much when my hair is shorter but when it’s long, clipping it up is super helpful!
A few pointers when curling your hair
I prefer curled hair loose ends and curls not too close to the root, which is why I clasp it with the curling iron near the root and never curl from the bottom.
You’ll notice how the ends of my hair stick out just a little after I wrap it around the barrel. That gives it a little more natural look by not tucking the ends into the iron.
Always turn the barrel away from your face so it curls away, which helps open up the hair for a fresher look. When you’re curling the back, curl a few pieces in the alternate direction so they don’t all clump together.
I grab somewhat large sections of hair to make it go quickly and so it’s not overly curled. Then, I go back and get pieces that are too straight and curl them separately. That also helps keep it natural-looking so all the curls aren’t exactly the same size and/or perfectly curled.
After I curl, I let the curls sit for a few minutes to cool (usually I do my makeup at this point). Don’t mess with the curls while they’re still warm – letting them cool while more tightly curled helps them hold longer.
I don’t brush it out. When I apply the Davines texturizer, I use my fingers at that point to break up the curls a bit.
Here are a few pics of how it looks finished!
My skincare and makeup routine are both listed in detail here.
Shop the Post
Make breakfast healthy & easy!
Sign up to get my FREE breakfast ebook with my favorite recipes!