I’m about to give you something really really great. No, it’s not healthy. But it’s amazing. Really really amazing. And sometimes you need amazing stuff in your life.
Superfudge Chocolate Ice Cream with Brownies
Let’s get to the important stuff: how to make it.
(from Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream & Dessert Book, 1987 – yep, it exists and you want it)
1. Prepare one batch of your favorite chocolate brownies
I used the boxed Ghiradelli’s brownie mix ‘cuz it’s easy and delicious. (There is a recipe for brownies in the B&J cookbook but it’s pretty time consuming.)
Chop some of the brownies up to get about 1 cup and put them in the fridge about an hour before you plan to add the ice cream mixture to the ice cream machine (so after the cooling time below). Yes, this is more than a cup. Don’t worry, it didn’t go to waste. Extra brownie chunks never hurt ice cream. Some also made it into my mouth instead of the ice cream.
2. Prepare the chocolate ice cream recipe
- 4 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup milk (I used skim, but you could be really wild and use whole)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy or whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch salt
How to do that
Melt the unsweetened chocolate in the microwave, going in 30 second increments with the power at 50%. Stir after each 30 seconds and repeat until completely melted. Whisk in the milk and microwave again for about 30-60 seconds until it all blends together smoothly. (Or use a double boiler to melt the chocolate slowly over low heat and then add in the milk and heat until smooth and well combined….I don’t have a double boiler and was too lazy to set up my fake version tonight.) Set chocolate mixture aside to cool.
Using a hand mixer, whisk the eggs until light and fluffy (1-2 minutes). Whisk in the sugar, adding a little at a time. After it’s all added, keep whisking for another minute to make sure it’s fully blended. Then add the cream, vanilla and salt and whisk some more to blend.
Slowly pour the chocolate mixture into the cream mixture, whisking as you add, and mix well. Cover and refrigerate until completely cold (1-3 hours).
3. After tasting a giant spoonful of the ice cream “batter,” pour the rest into your ice cream maker (I use this one) and let mix until thickened (it’s about 25-30 minutes in my mixer).
4. Once it’s almost as thick as you’ll want it (it will look like this…OMG…just looking at it makes me want more)…
add in the brownies and let go for another minute or two to mix the brownies in.
5. Serve immediately. Swoon.
6. Thank me later. And Pin this for later.