Last Sunday, some friends invited us for dinner and put us in charge of wine and a salad. I forgot to go to the store, but I ended up having plenty of things at home to wing a salad. And this ended up being a favorite – people took second and third helpings, which I always take as a good sign.
Plus, it uses up some Cuties!
I love Cuties (I love when they come into stores around the holidays!), but I can never go through a whole box before they start to dry up.
Kale Salad with Almonds & Clementines and Citrus Vinaigrette
- 3 clementines, sliced in half for juicing
- 1/4 olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- juice of 3 clementines
- zest of 1 clementine
- 8-10 cups chopped kale
- 3 clementines, peeled and separated
- 1/3 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- cheese, optional
1. Take the crushed garlic glove and sprinkle with a little salt. Smash it on a cutting board with the side of a chef’s knife to incorporate the salt and further mash the garlic. Add to a medium-sized mixing bowl.
2. Add the olive oil, honey, clementine zest, and juice of three clementines to the bowl with the garlic. Whisk to combine well.
To assemble the salad:
1. Place 8-10 cups of kale in a large serving bowl. It looks like a lot but it will reduce once you massage it. (I used about 1/2 of those really big bags you get at Whole Foods.)
2. Pour the dressing over the kale and massage the kale with your hands. This will fully coat the kale with dressing and also soften (and reduce in size) the kale. Massage until it becomes a bit soft and darker in color.
3. Sprinkle the almonds, clementine pieces, cranberries and cheese on top. Toss just before serving.
Note: I used shredded goat gouda in this, but i think feta or a blue cheese would also work nicely. I also think you could sub dried cherries for the cranberries and it’d be awesome. Be flexible and be creative! 🙂
Get the tools to make the salad!