Last week was a good mix of running, CrossFit, ROMWOD and rest! I was planning to post this Monday night and that just didn’t happen! I’m currently at the beach (although I still haven’t seen the ocean – we’re headed over there this morning!), and I actually really love blogging on vacation. I’ve always loved writing and it just feels so much easier to write on vacation when I’m not trying to manage real life. 🙂
After my post about my body before and after CrossFit, a few of you commented that you’d like to see how I balance carbs in my diet without doing Paleo, but still eating gluten-free. I’ll do a post dedicated to the topic in the future (hopefully soon!), but in the meantime, I’ll start sharing some of my regular eats so you can get an idea of how I fuel. Keep an eye out for that post!
Last Week’s Workouts
M – 10 miles, average 8:15 pace
- I was so happy with this 4th of July run. It was really hot by the time I went out but I ended up feeling much better on the run than I expected!
T – Crossfit
- Back Squat – find a 5 rep max. I worked up to 145#.
- 11 minute AMRAP:
- 1000m row
- Then 3-6-9-12…
- Front Squats 85# (RX was 95#)
W – 4.5 miles with Ali, average 8:55 pace
- I’ve been meeting a friend to run at 6 AM once a week, which is about 30 minutes earlier than I usually go and I LOVE the early mornings and I love running with her. It’s my favorite run of the week! Plus, we get to see some amazing sunrises.
Th – 7 miles, overall average 8:06 pace + ROMWod
- I warmed up for about 15 minutes and then did 6 2-minute surges with about 2 minutes recovery between each. I wasn’t too structured about this, but tried to push the pace to 6:45-7:15 min/mile pace for about 2 minutes and recover for an equal time.
- I LOVE having ROMWod (an online stretching video library for crossfitters). I’m stretching way more consistently now that I’ve signed up for it. I wish I could find time for yoga, but 90 minutes a week just isn’t happening. I’ll do a post on ROMWod soon. Maizey is an excellent assistant.
F – REST
S – The Bear Complex – Tommy and I did our own workout since we couldn’t make the Top Tier class times. This was brutal! I used 55#.
- 7 rounds of 7 sets of:
- 1 deadlift
- 1 hang clean
- 1 front squat
- 1 shoulder to overhead (I did a push press/sort of a push jerk)
- 1 back squat
- back overhead and start all over with a deadlift
Su – 7 miles, 7:35 pace
Total Miles: 28.5
How I’m feeling: I’ve felt so great increasing my mileage lately! My right glute is being a little finicky, and I can feel it down my whole leg (especially when I lay down at night), but RomWOD is definitely helping. I need to spend more time with the lacrosse ball!
What are you up to lately with your workouts? I love increasing my mileage in the summer months! The humidity can be rough, but I loooove the major sweat fest. (Is that weird??)
Which Garmin do you have? I’m looking at the 230. Need to upgrade my 10. Just started marathon training (eek, my first!) and I want to be able to see distance and pace on the same screen. I don’t need bells and whistles, just don’t want to have to toggle between 2 screens while running. First world problems 🙂
Teri [a foodie stays fit]at
I have the 210 (http://amzn.to/1Mgh6OX) which is I love. There’s also a refurbished one (http://amzn.to/1Mgh8pZ) and I’ve always had good luck with refurbished goods. (My Vitamix is a refurb!)
I really want the 220 (http://amzn.to/1POGS3A), but only because it automatically uploads to strava. But I can’t justify a new one when my 210 is working just fine and it takes 2 seconds to plug it into my computer! 🙂 I’ve had it almost 4 years and it still works great!
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessedat
The lacrosse ball is so brutal… but so necessary. Bear complexes are no joke!
It’s so hard to find time to regularly stretch and roll – but so key! I started leaving a lacrosse ball at my work desk and when I’m sitting I’ll casually roll out my hamstrings and glutes. I don’t think my coworkers notice either 😉
That’s such a good idea, Rachel! I’m going to start doing that at work too!
Teri [a foodie stays fit]at
So…I’m nuts and foam roll during conference calls! I’m in a corner so I can easily get down on the floor…but man, if anyone ever walked by…ha! A lacrosse ball while I sit is a better idea. 🙂