Easter Sunday was this past Sunday. Oh, wait, that’s old news huh. I didn’t make anything Eastery or hunt any eggs or see any bunnies. Actually, that last one isn’t true. I see at least three bunnies everyday. My neighborhood is overrun. They’re multiplying like…well, rabbits. But since it was Easter, I wanted to do something festive. And I wanted an excuse to visit my lovely neighbors and introduce myself to ones I haven’t met, so I made cookies.
BTW, the above picture is a little misleading. These cookies don’t use fresh ginger. But I thought it made for a nice picture. 🙂
Lemon Ginger Cookies
[makes approx.3 dozen cookies]
- 2.5 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 t. baking soda
- 3 t. powdered ginger
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 3/4 c butter, softened (that’s 1.5 sticks)
- 1 c. brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 egg
- 1/4 c. molasses
- 1 T. lemon zest
- 1/4 c. sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, sift flour, baking soda, ginger, and cinnamon.
3. Beat butter, brown sugar and egg in a large bowl until light & fluffy.
4. Add molasses and lemon zest.
5. Add flour mixture and mix until combined.
6. Roll dough into balls (I used a mini ice cream scooper….it should be about 1 teaspoon) and roll in the 1/4 c sugar.
7. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
8. Remove to a cooling rack and enjoy warm or cooled. I like them best chilled.
P.S. I got my hair done tonight. It’s really blonde. And I really like it.