I’ve been feeling really tired lately and I’m wondering if I’m lacking protein, particularly since I cut down on dairy recently. So, I vowed to make a lunch with a decent amount of protein. One of my go-to lunch bases is quinoa since it’s a quick, easy protein source and it combines well with lots of things. Plus, I still had some leftover black beans from the last batch I cooked. Quinoa + beans = good protein for me.
I remembered that I’d seen a quinoa recipe involving lime on a blog recently, but I was too lazy to look it up so I improvised with what I had on hand. I will, however, be making that version soon. It sounds great. Anyway, here’s my recipe:
Lime Quinoa with Black Beans, Scallions, and Feta
(1) Combine the following three ingredients in a pan. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 1/3 c. dry quinoa
- 2/3 c. water
- 1 small whole garlic clove, peeled
(2) While the quinoa cooks, combine the following:
- 1 scallion/green onion [it’s the same thing], thinly sliced
- 1/4 c – 1/2 c. black beans [if you are using canned beans, be sure to drain and rinse them well]
- 1 T. crumbled feta [yeah, yeah, I know, it’s dairy]
- splash of lime juice; I used bottled lime juice and started with about 1 teaspoon and then added some more to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
(3) When the quinoa is cooked, use a spoon to mash the garlic clove and stir it around in the quinoa.
(4) Then dump the quinoa on the bean mixture [it’ll melt the feta just a little…mmm…] and stir it all up. Give ‘er a taste and add more lime juice if you feel the need.
Enjoy! I sure did. I didn’t have any leftovers, but I’m willing to bet this would taste even better the next day.
I’m gonna do some push-ups, cross a couple things off my to-do list and then head to bed. I’ve got spin at 5:30 AM! Night!
Also, FYI, I hit the snooze just once today, ate my breakfast at the dining table, and chewed my oatmeal slowly. Be proud!