Um, WHY did it take me so long to try this?? So. Good. So good!
Here’s my spin on it based on Gina’s recipe:
Coconut Cherry Chocolate Breakfast Cookie
- 1/3 old fashioned oats
- 1 T peanut butter (or nut butter of your choice)
- 1/2 scoop Designer Whey Vanilla Protein Powder (which I bought on Gina’s recommendation, actually)
- 1/8 c milk (I used organic cow’s milk, but I bet almond or rice milk would really tasty)
- 1 T (or so) dried cherries, chopped
- 2 t shredded coconut
- 1 T semi sweet chocolate chips (Tyler taught me that it’s OK to have chocolate for breakfast)
I followed Gina’s instructions:
- Combine oats, PB, and protein powder (if using) until combined and kind of crumbly.
- Add milk and stir until well combined.
- Add in your tasty mix-ins.
- Transfer it to a plate and using the back of a spoon, flatten and spread it out to make a cookie-ish shape.
- Stick ‘er in the fridge and let set overnight.
- Wake up to deliciousness. Sprinkle with cinnamon and devour with a spoon.
I haven’t been craving oatmeal since the weather has warmed up and have been living on Kashi GoLean. I love eating oats for breakfast since they are so clean and cheap, but I haven’t really been craving chilled overnight oats. (I think my last batch was too goopy and turned me off.) This cookie totally hit the spot. It’s a perfect summer breakfast.
- It hardened up more than I was expecting it to, which was nice.
- I ended up picking out the chocolate chips (crazy, I know). They were too hard compared to the other textures; I wish I had cacao nibs!
- This actually held me over until lunch. I was very surprised.
- I’m going to make another right now for my breakfast tomorrow. 🙂
FYI, I had dried cherries on hand because I plan to make Mama Pea’s Cherry Almond Granola this weekend. Has anyone tried it?
I had coconut on hand because, along with the rest of the blog world, I made Jessica’s Loaded Blueberry Coconut Muffins yesterday. (I may or may not have gone to the store at 7:30 AM to buy coconut just to make these muffins.)
Also, happy 2 year blogiversary to Gina! I think it’s fitting that I had my first breakfast cookie on her bloggy birthday. 🙂
Have you ever had a breakfast cookie before?
What would you suggest for mix ins?
Also, I updated The Boxer Dog page with a few new pictures if you need a puppa fix. 🙂