WOW you guys! I was not expecting such a huge respond to my last post about my skin care dilemma. THANK YOU!!! I wrote down 14 different brands to try from all your very helpful, thoughtfully written comments. Many of you suggested Cerave and Cetaphil. Many suggested cutting out dairy and gluten. Many suggested the oil cleansing method. And most of all, MANY of you shared that you’d had similar issues which made me feel so much better. Sometimes it feels like I’m the only one my age with acne issues so it was comforting to know that others have been there and gotten past it. Thank you for sharing and empathizing!
So, I thought what I’d do is tell you what I have been doing for a while, what I recently started and what I’m going to start doing.
For at least 3 months:
- Eating dairy free
- Eating 90% gluten free (I blame Camino Bakery for the other 10% 😉 )
- Sporadically using a retinol cream
I didn’t notice a huge difference when I cut back on dairy or gluten but I wonder if the small amount of gluten is causing problems.
For the past 5-10 days:
- Starting taking 1 t. of cod liver oil 2x a day (I read on multiple blogs that it does wonders for skin)
- Taking the Balance of Naturefruit & vegetable supplements (it’s kind of like Amazing Grass but in pill form…so much better than choking down powdered greens in a smoothie!)
- Used leftover Simone France Light Milk cleanser 4 times (which has mineral oil in it)
- Used Neutrogena Clear Pore Oil-Controlling Astringent after the milk cleanser (Aubry recommended this to me a few weeks ago and I realized I had some in my junk closet!)
- Used Proactiv twice
- Used Garnier night serum every night
- Used Retinol twice (before the Garnier serum)
Maybe it’s a coincidence and knock on wood, but my skin looked a lot better this morning. Maybe it’s all the above changes or maybe it was all your good vibes you sent through the comments. 😉 I realized that the Light Milk has mineral oil in it and the Simone France line is loosely based on the oil cleansing method, so that method apparently works for me to some degree.
What I’m going to do next:
- I’m going to attempt to recreate the Simone France method (AM “Sandwich” method: moisturize, then exfoliate, then wash with bar soap, then moisturize + PM combo of oil-based cleanser and toner ) using products with somewhat similar ingredients, including a Cetaphil cleanser, an exfoliating scrub, a natural bar soap, and a mild toner (still TBD).
- Use up all the oil free SPF moisturizers I have in the AM. If I keep breaking out, I’m going to buy new moisturizers, probably Cerave.
- Keep using the Garnier night serum in the PM.
- Keeping using the Image Skincare Ageless Total Retinol A every 3 nights.
- REALLY try to completely cut out gluten. Sigh.
- Try this mask (thanks Jessica!)
- Find a new eye cream when I run out of the Mario Badescu one (I don’t dislike but I would just like to try something new). Any recommendations? I have fine lines.
- Remove make-up with Yes to Blueberry wipes before workouts, if necessary.
- Maybe splurge on the Simone France Instant Radiance Mask.
- Stop touching my face during the day. (Good tip HilaryJean!)
- Moisturizing when my skin feels dry (per the recommendation of Jill and Trisha)
THEN I going visit the derm. I don’t know why I’m so anti derm but I am so hopefully this will work. I do really want to try some of the other products suggested by you guys because you all gave your products such glowing reviews (especially Juice Beauty – thanks Amy!).
Wish me luck! And thanks again for all your thoughtful, helpful comments! You impacted my entire game plan going forward!