A runny egg salad is my kind of egg salad. Make an over-easy egg, place it over a salad and you instantly have a fancy schmancy delicious lunch.
I love eggs. I eat them in some form almost everyday. Did I ever tell you guys that I grew up with a huge chicken coop with over 30 chickens in it…right outside my bedroom window? Friends asked if the roosters crowing ever woke me up. Answer: nope. I never even noticed them until someone pointed out the noise.
Anyway, it’s amazing that I still like eggs considering the smell that accompanied that coop every year from about April to June. But man, those were some good eggs.
My favorite way to eat eggs is over medium. Yolks not too runny but never hard. I love eggs as a salad topping. The runny yolk makes a great salad dressing. I’m sure I’m totally grossing out some of you. heh heh.
I haven’t had true egg salad with the mayo and whatever else goes into the typical fare for years, but this is how I eat my “egg salad.”
Not Your Average Egg Salad
- 2-4 cups mixed greens
- 1/2 c cooked quinoa
- 2 eggs
- sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- salt & pepper
- Set a skillet over medium-high heat and lightly coat with nonstick spray.
- Carefully crack both eggs into the skillet. Let cook for about a minute.
- Add about a tablespoon of water to the pan and cover. [The water and the lid will help the eggs cook by gently steaming them.]
- Let cook a few minutes more until the tops are white. For very runny yolks (i.e. over easy), cook for 1-2 minutes; to get slightly cooked/slightly runny yolks (i.e. over medium), cook for 2-3 minutes; for gross yolks (i.e. over hard), cook 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and remove lid.
- Place greens and quinoa on a plate, slide the eggs on top, sprinkle shredded cheese on top and season to taste.
- Split that egg yolk open and devour.
I like this with a buttered Ezekiel English Muffin – it’s great for sopping up extra yolk.
How do you like your eggs? One of my favorite movies is Runaway Bride and I love the scene where Richard Gere grills Julia Roberts about how she likes her eggs. And I love it even more when she makes all the styles to figure it out.