- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 32 oz beef stock
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 heaping tablespoon cumin
- 1 lime
- salt to taste
- bunch of cilantro
- avocado, diced
1. In a large pot, saute beef and onion together until browned and beef is nearly cooked through.
2. Drain the excess fat from the cooked ground beef/onion mixture and return to the pan. Add the mushrooms and sauté for a few more minutes.
3. Add the beef stock, tomatoes, chili powder & cumin.
4. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low and cover. Simmer for 45 minutes or so, stirring occasionally. (I let mine go for 1.5 hours.) If it begins to look too thick, just add a little water.
5. Just before serving, season each bowl with salt, top with cilantro and a big squeeze of lime. And avocado if you have it. I didn’t have any but I just felt like I should tell you to add it. 🙂
Approximate Nutrition Stats (based on 7 servings): 213 calories, 10 grams fat, 19 grams protein
In other news, Maizey had to get sedated for an exam at the vet yesterday. Everything is fine, but she is supposed to be on bed rest – no walks, no playing, no jumping, no fun – for two weeks because of a muscle strain. Haahhahahaa. oooookay. Boxers don’t do well on bed rest. She’s already going a bit crazy with pent up energy. But yesterday, she had no energy. Just droopy, woozy drug face. So so funny. Poor pup!
She kept swaying and then collapsing into a sleep. hahahahaha.
Have a great weekend!