My pumpkin bread recipe is my favorite fall treat ever!
1.5 cups coconut sugar
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/3 cup water
1/2 of a 15oz can of pumpkin (about 2/3 cup)
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the wet ingredients — sugar, oil, applesauce and eggs — using a hand mixer or stand mixer; beat until smooth. Add water and beat until well blended. Mix in pumpkin puree until combined.
- In medium bowl, combine ginger, allspice, cinnamon, cloves, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt using a wooden spoon. Add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture and blend just until all ingredients are mixed. Pour into your prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, 30-45 minutes. Don’t over bake!
- Cool completely on a wire rack and store in an airtight container.
- The baking time may vary depending on your oven and if you double the recipe. Be sure to check the doneness at the shorter baking time!
- I used One Degree Sprouted Whole Wheat Flour.
- I’ve never tried making this with pumpkin pie spice in place of the individual spices but it would probably work.
- When I’ve added chocolate chips in the past, I actually prefer it without them. You get more of the pumpkin ginger flavor without the chocolate competing.
- For the flour, you could likely use 3.5 cups of spelt or whole wheat pastry flour instead of the split ratio. I just never have. You could also use all-purpose flour for the full amount if you don’t have spelt or ww pastry flour on hand.
- You can sub the coconut sugar for white cane sugar or a mixture of cane sugar and brown sugar.
- This is also delicious topped with some powdered sugar sifted on top. You could also make a simple glaze using powdered sugar, a small amount of milk and a splash of vanilla to drizzle on top.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 213
- Sugar: 25
- Sodium: 274
- Fat: 6
- Saturated Fat: 4.3
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 38.4
- Fiber: 2.2
- Protein: 3.4
- Cholesterol: 31