Growing up, my mom made a lot of cookies. She also made homemade bread. And made a hot breakfast, packed lunches and had dinner ready by 6 every night for all 6 kids. Oh and she also worked part-time. Yep, she’s pretty amazing.
One of my favorite cookies she makes are Chocolate Crinkle Cookies. They’re a little chewy like a brownie but not quite as rich and dense.
Because I’m a rebel I rarely have milk on hand, I subbed in wine. Because I always have that on hand. Don’t tell my mom.
Red Wine Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 2/3 c sugar
- 2 t vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 (1 oz) square unsweetened chocolate, melted (I just microwaved it in 30 second increments)
- 1 c spelt flour (or replace with all-purpose flour. You just need 2 c of flour total)
- 1 c all-purpose flour
- 2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/3 c milk…or 1/3 c red wine
- powdered sugar
- Using an electric mixer, cream the shortening, sugar and vanilla until well combined and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, then add melted chocolate slowly, mixing as you add it.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients and add in 3 increments to the creamed mixture, alternating with milk/wine after each addition until all dry ingredients and all the milk/wine are added.
- Cover and refrigerate 2-3 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease a cookie sheet. Pour some powdered sugar onto a rimmed plate or into a bowl.
- Form dough into 1? balls, roll in powdered sugar and place on sheet, spacing 2? in between.
- Bake 10-13 minutes until they crack on top.
- Let cool on cookie sheet 4-5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Dip these in any red wine you have lying around. It’s better than milk. Again, don’t tell my mom. Actually, she won’t mind. She thinks cookies dipped in milk are disgusting.
Do you dip cookies in milk?
I didn’t growing up…probably because of my mom. But now I love it. (But I love cookies — especially oreos — dipped in red wine even more. 😉 )
Don’t forget to enter to win the $50 gift card from Whole Foods!