Sometimes I get on a kick where I want flavored coffee but it usually only lasts about a week and then I have a bunch of flavored coffee around that I need to use up. These energy bites came together when I was spending a weekend in Boone and I wanted to make the Giddy Up Bites from Run Fast East Slow (a must-own cookbook) but I didn’t have all the ingredients on hand — I was even out of cinnamon, oof. But I realized I had some smore’s coffee at the house that would add a fun spin – and these are definitely a keeper. Regular coffee works just as well if you don’t want to buy flavored coffee.
These are perfect for crushing my afternoon sweet tooth (which is on overdrive lately) or for a boost of energy before a run or a WOD.
S’More Coffee Plz Energy Bites
Makes 28 balls
- 15 medjool dates, pits removed (I buy fresh, not the dried ones with pits removed)
- 1/2 cup almond butter (no sugar or oil added – mine was a bit runny)
- 2 tablespoons ground s’mores flavored coffee (I used the Fireside Delight from Cactus Creek, an NC roaster, but you can find s’mores flavored coffee on Amazon or at Target too!)
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 2 tablespoons protein powder (I used Mocha Vega)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (optional, leave out if your almond butter is salted)
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor.
- Using a mini ice cream scoop, form into 1″ balls.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer. (I like the texture of them frozen!)