This sweet potato and black bean veggie burger recipe is a hit with vegetarians and meat eaters alike. The leftovers are fantastic and it’s great for meal prepping since the burgers freeze well too!
- 1 cup cooked black beans (drained and rinsed well if using canned)
- 1 medium baked sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats, ground to a coarse flour in a food processor or blender
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 red onion, shredded on a cheese grater or in a food processor
- 2–3 dashes hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/3 cup feta
- 2–3 Tablespoons olive oil
1. Combine chili powder, cumin, salt, black pepper, paprika, turmeric and oregano in a small bowl. all the spices in a small bowl.
2. In a large bowl, use a potato masher to mash one cup cooked beans until you have a thick paste with some whole beans (or larger pieces) left.
3. Add the spices, ground oats, egg, onion, and hot sauce to the bowl with the mashed black beans and combine well.
4. Add the diced sweet potato and feta and gently fold in, careful not to mash the sweet potato.
5. Using a measuring cup, scoop a heaping ½ cup of the mixture and place into your hand. Flatten and form into a large patty. You should have 4 large patties.
6. Preheat a large skillet over medium heat with 1-2 tablespoons olive oil. You want enough to coat the bottom of the pan (but not in a thick layer). (I recommend a cast iron skillet)
7. Using a large spatula, gently move the patties to the pre-heated pan. Allow burgers to cook undisturbed for 3-5 minutes until a crust starts to form on the bottom. Carefully flip the burgers to cook on the other side, 2-4 minutes. Add more oil to help cook on the other side if needed.
8. When cooked through, serve immediately.