On Monday night, I did a 30 minute leg workout that made me more sore than I have been in months:
- 3 sets of squats with increasing weights / 15 reps / 50/75/90 lbs (on the assisted machine)
- 3 sets of deadlifts / 15 reps / 50 lbs
- 3 sets lunges, each side / 15 reps / holding a 25 lb plate
- 3 sets of single leg squats, each side /15 reps / holding a 10 lb plate
- 3 sets abductor machine / 15 reps / 50 lbs I think?
- 3 sets adductor machine /15 reps / 70 lbs I think?
- 3 sets hamstring curls / 15 reps / 50 lbs I think?
And HOLY CRAP, I have not been able to walk normally since! I didn’t feel like I was pushing myself that hard during the workout but today is the first day I’ve been able to stand and sit without tons of wincing and moaning. My quads especially have been super tender. I tried to run Tuesday and it was really sluggish. Finally, last night I had a run where I finally loosened up but I’m sore again this morning. Don’t get me wrong – I love being sore, especially since it doesn’t happen often – but I’m just baffled at HOW sore I got from that seemingly innocuous workout.
Granted, I hadn’t done traditional weight training in a while but I’ve been running, doing Pure Barre and yoga. My squats were a heavier than normal (especially the last set!) and I very rarely do single leg squats. So I guess all that combined produced this crazy soreness? It was a good reminder that I need to vary my workouts and shock my body. The body truly does adapt to the same workouts over time. Give the workout a try and let me know how it goes for you!
Do you get sore easily? Or not that often?