Happy Monday! Last week I once again spent the majority of my workout time at CrossFit Metro with just a little running mixed in. It’s been quite the adjustment to see my weekly mileage so low on a regular basis. I know I’m working out hard at CrossFit, but it’s just a mind shift to not be running 20-40 miles a week after that being my routine for YEARS.
My week is off to a good start – I only had two meetings at work today so I was able to plow through a ton of work and emails which was so nice…except for the fact that I barely moved from my chair all day. Yuck. I usually go get coffee at some point during the day which takes me on a short walk, but I’m trying to cut back (I drink like 4-6 cups a day…not good) and since I usually eat lunch at my desk, I end up not moving from my cube which just feels gross at the end of the day. I need to make a conscious effort to get up and walk around a bit! Anyway…totally random tangent…
Thanks for your sweet comments on yesterday’s post! I will write a post soon about how Tommy and I met, I promise! Instead, I’m posting the Weekender a day late. Favorite links + last week’s workouts below!
I’ve been having some crazy bloating issues lately and got some weird rash on my core – so strange. After tons of googling (clearly the expert on everything), I decided to get some probiotics, which seems to be helping. My friend Anna sent me this article on gut health after I told her I started probiotics – super interesting stuff!
Considering I can’t eat dairy and don’t tolerate gluten well, this falafel pie wouldn’t help with the whole bloating issues, but dang, it sounds good. I need to find a way to tweak it!
I loved this interview with Melissa Hartwig, one of the Whole 30 founders.
I’m now completely convinced I have text neck.
Last Week’s Workouts
S – CrossFit
run 800 meters, 5 rounds of 10 ring dips + 10 wall balls, row 1000m
M – CrossFit + 2.75 mile run/walk with the pup
- Back squats (3 reps @ 75%, 2 reps @ 80%, 1 rep @ 85%, 3 reps @ 80%, 2 reps @ 85%, 1 rep @ 90%); I spent most of my time between 115-130#; I really need to work on going deeper into my squat, so my coach told me to back off on the weight until I get my form down.
- 8 min AMRAP: 10 Push Press, 10 Step Ups with Barbell in Front Rack, 100m Run -2.75 mile run (I got 5 rounds)
T – 6.1 mile run
W – CrossFit
- 3 sets of 1 Strict Press + 1 Push Press + 2 Jerks. (I did 50# for the strict press and 55# for the push press and jerks)
- 4 rounds: Finished in 10:20
- 21 Pull Ups (I did ring rows instead; I find them harder than banded pull-ups)
- 15 Box Jumps 24/20
- 9 Deadlifts 225/155 (I did 135# for my deadlifts)
Th – CrossFit
- Goat work: practiced toes to bars…ugh, hurts my hands so much
- 18 min AMRAP:
- 20 Double Unders
- 15 Wall Balls 20/14
- 10 Hang Power Cleans 95/65 (I did 55#) – I really struggled with this move! I rely too much on my shoulders
F – CrossFit
- Front Squats (3 reps @ 75%, 2 reps @ 80%, 1 rep @ 85%, 3 reps @ 80%, 2 reps @ 85%, 1 rep @ 90%); I varied between 105#-130# and again, focused on squatting deep!
- 3 rounds: (Finished in 13:14) – I LOVED this workout!
- 1 min Plank Hold
- 10 Alternating Dumbbell Snatches from the hang position (I used a 15# db)
- 20 Slam Balls 25/20
S – rest
Have you experienced a workout routine adjustment where you’ve had to get used to measuring success by different standards?
I took a vitamin and a probiotic one morning on an empty stomach. I had to turn my car around at the entrance to the neighborhood! I have never felt so sick so quickly. Be careful to take those things with food until or unless you’re used to them! I clearly didn’t read the directions!
Teri [a foodie stays fit]at
Oh yikes! Thanks for the tip!!!
Anne @ CandyCrazedrun.comat
I am that “weird girl” who randomly walks around the parking lot every day haha. I try to take a brain break and get away from my desk, but since shifting to a new role at work, that doesn’t always happen. It amazes me that there are so many days where I can literally not step away for 10 minutes!
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessedat
First of all 4-6 cups of coffee a day?! Dang girl. Love reading about your workouts… you’re making me feel like I should do a weekly workout roundup on my blog. It’s been a lot of crickets over there lately lol. Glad you’re working on your squat form before you push the weight too much, sounds like you have some good coaches. I just did a ton of toes to bar last night. Have you ripped your hands yet? I highly recommend maintaining your callus with a pumice stone or something!
Teri [a foodie stays fit]at
No, I haven’t ripped my hands yet, thank goodness! Tell me more about maintaining my callus with a pumice stone! Will this help so it doesn’t hurt to grip the bar so much? I swear it’s getting worst with callus – I thought it’d be better!!