Oh hey, look what it is! A Weekender post. So many of you have told me these are your favorite posts, but I’m really inconsistent about them. I’m sorry! Sometimes I just don’t have time to check out a lot of great articles across the internet, but luckily this past week I’ve had some of you share links with me on Twitter and my Facebook page — thank you! 🙂
Sports Gels Can Improve Marathon Times, but Pace Them Right –> This makes me want to experiment with gels to see if I can get my stomach to handle them better.
The FiveFingers Settlement Didn’t Settle the Barefoot Running Debate –> Interesting read about what type of foot strike you have, injury rates and the “right” shoe for you.
8 Tips to Stay Healthy When You’re Crazy Busy –> I can personally vouch for #6. I schedule my workouts in my Outlook calendar, even though they’re typically outside working hours. Just seeing it there like my other appointments helps create accountability.
5 Best Burr Coffee Grinders –> I have the Hario Skerton mill and I love the perfectly even ground coffee it produces, but my hands are too small to hold it comfortably which makes holding it in place difficult. So, I’m in the market for an electric one and have been eyeing the Baratza Encore but it’s $130!
Last Week’s Workouts
Like I blogged earlier today, I haven’t been too structured about my running. But I still had a good week of workouts!
- M – 4.2 miles, 29:31, 7:01 pace + full body weight training (weights workout in this post)
- T – 5 miles, 37:47, 7:33 pace
- W – gentle yoga class (that was labeled as hot vigorous vinyasa…so frustrating) + full body weight training
- Th – 5 miles, 36:30, 7:17 pace (treadmill)
- F – rest day (ICYMI, I blogged about the importance of rest days)
- S – 6.17 miles, 37:00, 7:27 pace (treadmill) + upper body weight training (it was similar to this workout but no tricep-specific exercise and I added in rows.)
- S – 15.25 miles, 2 hours 5 minutes, 8:13 pace
Total Mileage: 41 miles
How I Feel: Good. My ankles bothered me a bit on Sunday’s run, my left hamstring is a bit tight, and my chest was sore on Tuesday after lifting weights on Monday, but overall feeling healthy and strong!
What good articles did you read this week? How do you stay healthy when you’re crazy busy?