Oh hey there! Remember me? Like I’ve said before, sometimes when life happens, blogging doesn’t and that has been the case for the past few days. But what better way to break back into it than with The Weekender and an easy + nutrition-packed recipe? Let’s go!
- I need a donut pan. When Rob questions my definition of “need,” I’m giving him Mama Pea’s phone number.
- What are your thoughts on “Purist Chefs”? I can definitely see their side of it, but that trend certainly would make life hard for those with dietary restrictions.
- I’m pretty sure my brother Roger lives off Hot Pockets. Wonder if I could get him to try this delicious-sounding, healthy looking versiona la Janetha. [Speaking of Hot Pockets, whenever someone talks about them, I instantly reply this Jim Gaffigann skit in my head. “Hawwwttt Paahhhcket!”]
- Let’s all wish the beautiful Elsa a happy 1st birthday! And then we can all commiserate about how our ovaries are achin’ for a baby after looking at how cute she is.
- I loved Abby’s Confessions of a Runner. I have two confessions to share: I’m an Expert Spitter–on-the-Run and have perfected farmer’s blows. Are you still my friend?
- Let’s all raise a collective cheer that TYLER IS BACK TO BLOGGING!!! And let’s go eat his crockpot nachos too. Technically, I think they’re Emily’s crockpot nachos.
- When I grow up, can I please look like Julianne Moore?
- Coconut oil wasn’t always so trendy.
The Week in Fitness
M – Bikram Yoga
T – practice RPM
W – 30 minutes treadmill speedwork + 30 minutes core work
Th – 2 mile fast & furious run
F – teach cycle
S – 9.25 miles in about 1 hour, 15 minutes (I forgot to restart my Garmin for part of it), average 8:15 pace
Su – Body Pump + practice RPM
I’m currently struggling with balancing all that I want/need to fit into my workouts during the week. I’m training for a TBD half marathon where I’d really like to break my PR (1:57) so I need time for speed work plus other quality workouts. I’m also smack-dab in the middle of RPM certification. And I like to weight train 2x a week. And yoga is nice when I can get it in. So…I’m still working to find a happy balance without living in my workout clothes.
Because if I lived in my workout clothes, I couldn’t wear gray tights. And I love gray tights.
Shoes: Rocket Dog ballet flats
Tights: Hue from Nordstrom
Watch: Michael Kors from Bevello
Skirt: Love & Photographs
blue Cardigan: JCrew
Blue ruffle shirt that you can’t see: Banana Republic
multi-tone gray/black Scarf: Bevello
Black patent leather belt: Banana Republic Outlet
Gray button earrings that you can’t see: My Fair Ladee
iHerb.com recently offered me a $50 shopping spree on their website and obviously I accepted. They carry WAY more stuff than I would have ever imagined, but I stocked up on things I’ve always wanted to try but am too cheap to pay for with real money, including:
- Goji berries
- Hemp seeds
- Organic Extra Thick Rolled Oats
- Stevia powder (I’ve never ever used a sugar substitute so we’ll see how that goes)
So what does one do with all that stuff? Make muesli of course!
- 1/3 c extra thick rolled oats (regular oats would work too)
- 1 t sunflower seeds
- 1 t pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds)
- 1 t hemp seeds
- 1 T cacao nibs
- 1 T goji berries
- 1 T chopped raw walnuts
Combine all ingredients and top with milk of choice. For me, it was unsweetened vanilla almond milk. And it was deeelicious.
I loved the crunch of all the seeds and the slight sweetness of the goji berries. My new favorite on-the-go snack is a handful of goji berries mixed with a handful of cacao nibs. Goji berries and cacao nibs are packed with all sorts of antioxidants.. I’ll reverse my aging the natural way, thanks. And hemp seed has both Omega-3 and Omega-6 – and in the right balance too.
What do you do with your tax refund? Save it? Go shopping? Take a vacation?
Do you ever feel crunched for time with all you want to accomplish with your fitness goals? Any tips for me?