Wahoo! It’s time for the first Wedding Wednesday post! Now that my marathon is behind me, I’m actually making progress on some things. (If you missed here, here’s the story of how we got engaged.)
So, here’s what’s been happening in the past week!
Set our priorities.
- This one pager is something that was in a book my friend Kate gave me. (I typed it up so you guys could download a clean version if you wanted!) Tommy and I went through it, circled what we cared about and crossed out what we don’t. We’ll focus on the circled things and not give much thought to the things we crossed out. And the best part was that we circled almost exactly the same things. 🙂
- Made each other a priority. We know it’s going to be a very busy year and we want to make sure that we make each other a priority among all the craziness. So we implemented date nights, once a month, where it’s just us. We often attend things together with friends or family, but it’s rare that we have a night out with just us. (And staying in doesn’t count. We want to get out of our regular routine so it’s an intentional thing. Doesn’t have to be fancy, but it does have to be intentional.) We had a date night last Saturday and it was SO nice.
- Met with our church to schedule pre-marital sessions + book our pastor. We are SO excited that our pastor is available to marry us since I felt really strongly about not having a total stranger marry us. We really love our church and think our families will love our pastor too. He’s hilarious and fantastic. He reminds me of a couple of my brothers. 🙂 We’re both really excited for the pre-marital sessions as well which will start in June.
Picked a date and a wedding planner.
- We’re getting married in October 2017! Yes, this year. 🙂 The exact date depends on the venue, which we’re hoping to lock down in the next week or two.
- I met with Jenny from Muse & Delphia event planning and am so happy to have her on board for her expertise and vision. She has done some seriously gorgeous events, and while our wedding will be very small and simple, I know she’ll be able to make it beautiful. There’s a fine line between simple and blah and she’ll keep me out of the blah zone. 😉 I brought on a wedding planner because between my real job, my blog job, keeping up with my beautycounter customers’, house hunting, and you know, actually getting to spend time with my fiance, I knew I needed help if I want to get to the wedding day sane. (I shared a typical day-in-life post here if you’re interested in how I attempt to manage it all.)
Toured venues, made appointments at bridal stores, and picked our colors.
- We definitely want to get married in Winston, and there isn’t a huge selection. But so far I’ve checked out Graylyn Estate, Reynolda Gardens & Barn, and am hoping to hit SECCA this week too.
- Setting appointments to try on gowns. I can’t wait!!! In the new few weeks, I’m going to Bellissima’s, English’s Bridal, The Magnolia Bride and Southern Bride. Or maybe just one of those if I find my dress on the first attempt! 😉
- Picked colors. I honestly hadn’t given this any thought (whoops), but when we were at our church meeting, they asked our colors so that our pastor could coordinate his tie. I was like uhhhh “pink?” and Tommy said, “And green?” Um, sure! So pink and green are our colors. I’m really drawn to pastel pink and cream bouquets…and flowers have green stems, so that worked out great. 😉
Southern Home & Kitchen had a bridal event last Saturday so I went with my friend Alise to check it out and ended up registering while I was there. I’ll go back with Tommy to add some things with his input, but he said he trusted my judgment on pots and pans and such. 😉 I think we’ll need more home stuff than kitchen stuff, so we’ll probably register at Crate & Barrel too.
Maggie at Southern Home & Kitchen was WONDERFUL. Between her and Alise, I was in excellent hands. (Alise is a hostess extraordinare so she help me think through things I would need since I have zero serving platters/hosting things. Just basic plates, glasses, etc!)
For example, I obviously needed this chip & salsa platter. 😉
Starting Honeymoon planning
- Heather, a blog reader, owns Heather Christopher Travel and offered to plan our honeymoon as a gift to me for my wedding! So incredibly sweet!!!! I am SO excited to kick off the process with her. She shared a questionnaire for Tommy and me to complete, which we are planning to go through this week. I took a glance at it and she asked things I hadn’t even thought of… so I’m really, really happy I have her help! The theme of this wedding so far is that I want to leverage expertise of others rather than stressing myself out! 🙂
Wow, I’m actually shocked by how much I have done now that I’ve listed it all out. It sort of feels like I haven’t made much progress, but that’s how life goes, right? You don’t feel like you’re getting anything done until you reflect on all you’ve accomplished. Even the little things eventually turn into big things. 🙂
Hope you’re having a great week! Thanks again for all your love and support. You guys are so wonderful.