I had another relatively high week of mileage, which was unplanned but oh so nice. I know I keep saying this, but I LOVE the workout flexibility I have right now not training for race. While I do love a structured training plan, I also really love just working out for fun. Because that’s what it really should be about – having fun and staying healthy. And that’s sometimes hard to remember when I’m trying to hit certain mileage and/or paces. I’m also really enjoying spending more time on the driving range now that the weather is nicer!
That being said, I just scheduled a new Strava training plan to start in mid-June. (Strava is my go-to for training plans and I’m planning a blog post on it at some point!) I’m planning to run the High Country Half Marathon in Boone with my friend Christian. (If you never read Christian’s post on the case FOR carbs, it’s a must-read.) I ran that half a few years ago and it was the HARDEST half marathon I’ve ever run, even though I was the third overall female. So I’m already considering myself nuts for agreeing to run it again.
Anyway, here’s what last week’s workouts looked like!
M – CrossFit
- Deadlift 5×6. I did 135#.
- Metcon for time, 5 rounds. I finished in 11:16, using 55#. I also scaled my pull-ups to 8 instead of 10, per my coach’s advice.
- 10 pull ups
- 8 front squats
- 6 hang power cleans
- 4 thrusters
I did this workout outside and it was so nice. It was slightly chilly with occasional rain sprinkles, so it was a good excuse to wear my favorite leggings! (It’s much hotter this week so I’m back to working out in shorts.)
T- 7 rainy miles with Kate, 8:27 pace + CrossFit
- Hero WOD Jack*: 20-minute AMRAP. 10 of each, as many rounds/reps as possible. I got 9 rounds + 5 reps.
- push press (I used 55#)
- kettlebell swings
- box jumps
- *In honor of Staff Sgt. Jack M. Martin III who died Sept. 29, 2009
W- 7.3 miles, 8:31 pace
- I had legs of lead (thanks CrossFit) and was shocked I even ran that pace (it felt MUCH slower).
Th – 4.6 miles with Ali, 8:36 pace + evening driving range outing
- I’m pretty sure people think Ali and I are twins; we get so many double takes on our runs. And that night when I was at the driving range, someone starting talking me thinking I was Ali. I was going to roll with it but he started asking me questions about her husband, so I had to correct him. He was mortified and I felt terrible!
F- 4 treadmill miles, 8:30 pace + Oiselle Dirty Dozen
Sa – CrossFit Partner WOD
- 3 rounds of:
- Partner 1: 20 box jumps
- Partner 2: plank push ups until Partner 1 finishes 20 box jumps
- Then switch…each partner must do each movement for a complete round, and partners must always be working at the same time.
- Rest 2 minutes
- 3 Rounds of:
- Partner 1: 20 wallballs
- Partner 2: handstand hold
- Rest 2 minutes
- 3 Rounds of:
- Partner 1: 20 slam balls
- Partner 2: static hang from the bar
- Cash out: 100 v ups
- Holy moly, had I known the v-ups would be in the workout, I wouldn’t have done core work the day before!! And the wallballs/handstand combo was brutal on my shoulders. I was so glad I got to workout with Alise though. She’s the best! We drew inspiration from the enormous wall art of our coaches. 🙂
Su- 10.0 miles with Kate, 8:07 pace + 2 hours on the driving range with Tommy
Total Miles: 33.1 miles
How I’m Feeling: Pretty good. My hamstrings and glutes are getting a little grumpy, similar to what happened when training for the Wrightsville Beach Marathon (race recap here). So, rather than running this morning, I did a 20 minute flow using a free podcast. And I’ve been trying to foam roll for at least 5 minutes after CrossFit and stretching for 10 minutes after running. I don’t always get it in, but I’m working on it!
Shop the Post
Ready to run?
Join my FREE mini Running Bootcamp and I'll send you advice to help you get started! I'll share my favorite running shoes, advice on what to eat before a run, tips to run faster and more!