This product transformed the appearance of my skin (see my before & afters!). It’s also safe for pregnancy and more effective than retinol.
Ever since I switched to Beautycounter skincare products, my skin has been in pretty great shape. Like any skincare routine, it took a few weeks to notice a difference but over time (and especially after months and years), my skin definitely improved with a consistent skincare regimen.
But there is one product that I noticed an immediate difference when I started using it: Beautycounter’s Overnight Resurfacing Peel. The first time I used it, I could tell my skin was softer, brighter and smoother. While I do have mascara on in the below photo, my skin is completely makeup free. I had just washed it and applied my moisturizer for these photos. (I was just too lazy to take off my mascara. Gotta be honest.) You can see more before and after photos below!
Beautycounter overnight resurfacing peel results
Here’s what I’ve noticed about my skin since adding the peel in:
- It’s smoother
- My pores are smaller
- Skin tone is more even and brighter
- It’s SO soft – I have to stop myself from touching my face!
- Acne scars that I thought would be lifelong blemishes are gone – they lightened up in about a WEEK
- The deep wrinkle between my eyebrows has lessened
Beautycounter Overnight Resurfacing Peel Review
I even think my skin looks just as good without makeup now as it does wearing makeup. That alone is pretty amazing considering I had horrible breakouts for years.
Here’s a photo before I started using the Beautycounter Overnight Resurfacing Peel (without foundation, post-workout, no filter added). I mean, it looks fine, right?
And here’s a photo (right after washing my face and moisturizing), again without any foundation or concealer, after using the Beautycounter Overnight Resurfacing Peel consistently. I particularly notice the acne scars around my lips and on my chin are gone and the sun spots on my nose have lightened.
The Overnight Peel will give you quick results vs. some of the other Beautycounter products that take more time to notice a visible change.
Benefits of the Beautycounter Overnight Resurfacing Peel
- improves skin texture
- promotes cell turnover for a smoother complexion
- boosts radiance
- minimizes the appearance of pores
- reduces the appearance of fine lines
- reduces appearance of dark spots and age spots
- evens skin tone
- improves acne (as skin cells turn over, it will be easier to get gunk out of pores, which can lead to breakouts)
How do you use the peel?
Use the peel only at night. So, first, wash your face to remove dirt and makeup. Follow with your “prep” step. (I use an essence for my dry skin.)
Next, apply 1-2 pumps of the overnight peel into your hand and gently spread a thin layer across your clean face. Be sure to apply it to your face, neck and décolletage. Applying product all the way down to your décolletage is often neglected but it’s so important since that area shows signs of aging too!
Let the peel absorb and dry completely, for 3-5 minutes, before you apply your moisturizer. It’s normal for your skin to tingle a bit, especially when you first start using the product.
A few tips:
- Use the peel in place of your regular serum. It’s considered a “treatment” in the “cleanse, prep, treat, hydrate” routine all good regimens should include. And you don’t need to double up on the treatment each night! Just use your regular serum in the morning.
- Skip your face oil the night you use the peel. It won’t hurt anything but some oils may lessen its effectiveness.
- Do not skip a moisturizer afterwards!!
- If the tingling is intense, don’t use the peel again for 3-5 days. You can gradually increase use, using the peel up to 5x a week. If you have extra sensitive skin, you could do a patch test as well.
- Leave the peel on overnight (don’t rinse!) and just complete your usual morning skincare routine.
- Note: You should always be wearing sunscreen, but you especially need to wear it daily if you’re using this product. I wear the Dew Skin tinted moisturizer daily since it has SPF. If I’m wearing full coverage foundation, I use sunscreen underneath.
- Your skin won’t actually peel, nor do you peel the product off. It’s the no-peel peel!
What acids are in it?
Most acids used in skin care are either alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs) or beta-hydroxy acids (BHAs). They are effective in improving the appearance of the skin by breaking down dead skin cells on the surface of skin. The Beautycounter Overnight Resurfacing Peel uses a combination of acids, some that resurface skin, and others that soothe, hydrate, and protect skin. So, it’s an AHA BHA Peel.
It contains 15 botanically derived acids to gently reveal a brighter complexion without causing irritation. These are the star acids that help resurface skin.
- Glycolic Acid improves skin texture, resurfaces, and exfoliates.
- Lactic Acid stimulates cell renewal, which leads to a smoother, radiant-looking complexion.
- Citric Acid helps refine and renew skin.
It also contains malic acid, phytic acid, and ascorbic acid to help gently resurface. Rather than hyaluronic acid, it contains sodium hyaluronate. Why do they use that instead? The molecule size! Sodium hyaluronate has a much smaller molecular size so it can more easily penetrate skin. This is a really helpful article about the difference between hyaluronic acid and sodium hyaluronate, if you’re interested!
To help soothe and moisturize skin, it contains arginine, linoleic and linolenic acids, and oleic acids.
Is it safe for pregnancy?
In short, yes. It goes without saying because it’s a Beautycounter product, but this peel is a MUCH safer option than most anti-aging serums and peels on the market, including retinol or Retin-A. Beautycounter tests all of their products with safety in mind, especially for those who might be extra vulnerable, like pregnant women and babies. Of course, check with your doctor since every pregnancy is different, but Retinol is on their Never List for a reason. And the Beautycounter Overnight Peel does not contain retinol. (Your OBGYN will tell you to not use Retinol or Retin-A during pregnancy!) My pregnancy skincare routine didn’t change from my usual routine. I personally found this peel more effective than retinol and without any of the negative side effects like peeling skin, redness, etc.
The Overnight Resurfacing Peel is also formulated without synthetic fragrances, PEGs, or formaldehyde-based preservatives that are often be found in other peels. Many peels use high levels of one or two resurfacing acids which may cause irritation. Since this peel uses a combination of resurfacing acids and soothing acids, it improves cell turnover to improve skin texture while still being gentle on the skin. Basically, you don’t have to trade off to get the benefits you want!
The bottom line
Snag it while it’s on sale! (Ends Tuesday, April 27, 2021!)
If you’ve tried the Beautycounter overnight resurfacing peel, I’d love to hear what you think! And if you don’t have a skincare routine you love, fill out this quick questionnaire and I’ll help you!