This Brown Rice and Black Bean Salad is the perfect dish to take to any potluck and is always a hit. You can add chicken but it’s great without it too.
Brown Rice & Black Bean Salad with Avocado & Cilantro
serves 2-4, depending on how hungry ya are
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, chilled
- 2-3 cups cooked black beans (if using canned, use two 15 oz cans, drained and rinsed)
- 2 cups seeded and diced tomato
- 1 bunch (about 5-7) sliced green onions, using both the white and green parts
- 2.5 T olive oil
- 2.5 T red wine vinegar
- 2.5 T water
- juice of one fresh lime
- 1 small diced jalapeno pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped (more or less to taste, I love cilantro!)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl combine chilled rice, beans, tomato, and green onions.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil and next 7 ingredients (through salt).
- Pour dressing mixture over the rice and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate salad for 30 minutes.
- Top with shredded cheese and avocado just before serving.
This is good chilled or at room temperature. It even works slightly heated but I prefer it chilled or room temp best. And like most dishes, it’s better the next day.