I’m obsessed with soup once the weather chills down. I took this recipe but tweaked it to make it a little healthier and more to my tastes. It’s quick and could easily be made vegetarian or vegan. I served mine with a dallop of plain greek yogurt.
Quick & Easy Acorn Squash Soup
- 1 small onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- dash cayenne pepper
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1.5 cups milk (not skim)
- 3 cups mashed cooked acorn squash*
- salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan, sauté the onion in the butter and olive oil.
- Stir in flour, dill, garam masala and cayenne until blended.
- Gradually add broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the squash, salt and pepper; heat through.
- Using an immersion blender, blend under the soup is smooth.
Note: To cook the acorn squash, I just stabbed it with a knife a few times and tossed it in the microwave whole. I cooked it for about 10 minutes, under it was soft when I squeezed it. Let cool for a few minutes, then slice it open, scoop out the seeds and discard. Then scoop out the squash for the soup. (I used an ice cream scooper for easy scooping. )
What’s your favorite cold-weather soup? Provide links if you have it! I have too many to choose!