Last week’s workout recap + how to stay motivated to run without a race
Here’s a secret: sometimes I find it really hard to get motivated to run if I don’t have a race on my calendar. That’s a big reason I registered for the Mistletoe Half Marathon last year because I just wasn’t getting out the door to run, and I just don’t feel like myself if I don’t run. When I picked up my mileage last fall, I started to pay attention to what mileage made me feel “sane” that still allowed me to do CrossFit. And that magic number for me is around 25 miles.
So I set a weekly goal in Strava at 25 miles and meeting that goal definitely gets me out the door. I wouldn’t have run Sunday morning if I didn’t see that I was at 22 miles for the week the night before. While I won’t always hit 25 – life happens, I crave other workouts, my body needs a break, my mind needs a break — it’s a good way to motivate me without the structure of a training plan. Just as the body needs down periods in a training cycle, so does the mind. Alright, onto the recap!
Last Week’s Workouts
M – CrossFit
- Front squats: 6×2 (increasing weight – 85, 95, 105, 115, 120, 125)
- AMRAP: 13 box jumps, 11 pushups, 9 deadlifts @ 125#. I did 6 rounds + 26 reps.
T – REST
W – 4.8 miles with Ali, 8:38 pace
Th – 5.2 miles, 8:24 pace
- This morning was BEAUTIFUL. The azaleas are in full bloom and the skies were amazing after a crazy storm the night before. I’m glad it was so gorgeous because the elevation change on that particular route is a doozy.
F – 5.2 miles, 7:44 pace + CrossFit
- I was so happy with this run and seeing negative splits again. My mile times were 8:31, 7:49, 7:45, 7:23, and 6:53 (that last mile and a lot of downhill! 😉 ). It’s been great to run without a set plan like I do when I’m training for a race and just run how I feel.
- Crossfit was a short & sweet workout, which is nice on a Friday night.
- 10 rounds of 4 handstand push-ups, every minute on the minute
- For time: 15-12-9-6-3 power cleans and air squats x2. I did my cleans at 65# and finished in 4:48. I was glad my friend Alise was there to push me!
Sa – 7.1 miles with Kim and Kate, 8:00 pace
- This run flew by! I’m so grateful for running friends!
Su – 4.1 miles, 8:20 pace + watching the Masters!
- I love running downtown on Sunday mornings since it’s so quiet and there are no cars. This is definitely a run that wouldn’t have happened if I didn’t have a weekly mileage goal and I’m so glad I ran. Running when the city hasn’t woken up yet is one of my favorite things.
Total Mileage: 26.5
How I feel: GREAT.
I really love just running whatever distance and pace I feel like. My calf and glute are still a little grumpy, but without a race on the calendar, I don’t feel the pressure to get in for needling. However, I definitely need to make sure I stretch and foam roll so things don’t get super messed up again.
I still have a marathon recap on my to-do’s! Planning to share this week, especially since I just heard some crazy news about the race course! Stay tuned! Hope your week is off to a great start!
Shop the Post
Ready to run?
Join my FREE mini Running Bootcamp and I'll send you advice to help you get started! I'll share my favorite running shoes, advice on what to eat before a run, tips to run faster and more!